Mediterranean Layered Hummus Dip
Ready to level up your hummus? Enjoy the refreshing flavors of the the Mediterranean with this Layered Hummus Dip. The perfect party snack for dunking pita chips and crackers!
And I mean, how could you not? With flavors like roasted pepper, chipotle, roasted garlic, and jalapeño cilantro, it’s impossible to not have a hummus perfectly suited to your tastes.
But while flavored hummus is level 2 in the hummus game, there’s a fun way to take your dip to level 10. Layered hummus!
I am a huge lover of Mediterranean recipes, as I know a lot of you are too. Made with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and olives, I figured it would be the perfect addition to our toolkit of healthy chickpea dips (because all snacks could use a little extra protein)!
Here’s what you’ll need
In the food world, the word “Mediterranean” usually translates to a handful of specific ingredients. And, this recipe for hummus pretty much includes all of them!
- Tomato: Can’t have a Mediterranean dish without the tomatoes! This recipe calls for 1 medium tomato (or about ½ cup), diced. Roma are great because they have less water, but use whatever tomato variety you have on hand.
- English Cucumber: Next up, add a refreshing crunch with diced English cucumber.
- Roasted Pepper: Roasted peppers add a sweet, smoky element. You can roast them yourself or simply go with jarred roasted peppers.
- Red Onion: Fresh red onion adds zing and crunch. Just make sure it’s finely chopped!
- Kalamata Olives: Mediterranean dishes notoriously include olives. This recipe uses ¼ cup of Kalamata olives, but you can add more or less to suit your taste.
- Pine Nuts: To add a unique flavor and a bit of crunch, we’ll be throwing on toasted pinenuts.
- Hummus: Can’t leave out the hummus! A 10oz container of hummus will serve as the base of the recipe. You can even make your own plain or flavored hummus!
- Feta Cheese: Finally, you can’t go wrong with a little feta. Add as much as you’d like (I go for ¼ to ½ cup), either cubed or crumbled.
How to make Mediterranean layered hummus dip
The fewer the steps, the better, right? Well how about three? This recipe only has three parts, and the third part is just putting everything on a platter. Needless to say, this is an easy recipe and is ready in less than 15 minutes!
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
To begin, chop the tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion, and olives. Add them to a medium sized bowl along with the olive oil, pepper, and salt. Toss to evenly combine everything.
Step 2: Toast the nuts
Next, add the pine nuts to a small sauté pan and set it over medium heat on the stove. Cook, watching closely, until the pine nuts turn golden brown.
Step 3: Assemble the plate
Spread the hummus onto a large platter or serving plate. Top with the veggie mixture, the toasted pine nuts, and the feta cheese. Serve immediately with pita chips or crackers.
Life hack: Make it ahead of time
If you’re a keep-snacks-on-deck person like me, you may want to prepare this ahead of time so that it’s ready to go exactly when the craving strikes! Or maybe you’re planning a gathering and this is on the menu.
Either way, prepping ahead always makes things easier! To do so, complete steps 1 and 2 as listed in the directions. Do this in advance, and simply store the veggies, pine nuts, hummus, and feta cheeses separately. When it’s time to eat, just assemble and enjoy!
There’s more where this came from
Hey, guess what! This Mediterranean layered hummus dip isn’t the only hummus recipe on my blog. In fact, there are many, many more variations right at your fingertips.
And because hummus doesn’t have to be strictly savory, here’s a mouth watering Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Hummus recipe that your tastebuds will love.
And for the hummus diehards, here are 8 delicious ways to make hummus. It’s the master of all hummus posts!
Mediterranean Layered Hummus Dip
- 1 medium tomato about ½ cup diced
- ½ cup diced English cucumber about ¼ of a cucumber
- ½ cup diced roasted pepper about 1 pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion about ¼ of an onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 15 mL
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 10-oz container hummus 283 g
- ¼ to ½ cups feta cheese cubed or crumbled
- Prep: Chop tomato, cucumber, pepper, onion, and olives. Add them to a medium bowl along with olive oil, pepper, and salt. Toss to evenly combine.
- Toast: Add pine nuts to a small saute pan and set over medium heat on the stove. Cook, watching closely, until pine nuts turn golden brown.
- Assemble: Spread hummus onto a large platter or serving plate. Top with veggie mixture, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese. Serve immediately with pita chips or crackers.