Green Goddess Sushi Bowl
This Green Goddess Vegetarian Sushi Bowl takes all the deliciousness of fresh sushi, tosses it easily into a bowl, and drizzles it with sriracha mayonnaise. The same great taste without the hassle. What’s not to love?
Is it summer where you are? Because it’s summer here in Holland! Which I think only lasts a few days, so by golly I’m slathering on the sunscreen and generally looking very American in my big t-shirt and jean shorts amongst a sea of svelte Dutch fashionites.
These sushi bowls are a bit like that. Amongst a sea of fashionable, painstakingly beautiful sushi rolls, it’s the humble, DIY yet still totally awesome sushi.
We’re taking all the goodness of vegetarian sushi and throwing it in a bowl. Seasoned sushi rice, avocado, cucumber, pepper, and charred asparagus! Ever since I discovered sriracha mayo, I’ve been a huge fan of vegetarian sushi, so naturally this sushi bowl incorporates that magic sauce in as well. The tulip-man, who tends to think dinner must involve a ratio of 1 meat: 1 carb: 1 vegetable (I think it’s a Dutch thing) even loved this recipe, and I think you will too!
Green Goddess Sushi Bowl
- 2 cups sushi rice 350 g
- 2 cups cold water 473 mL
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce 5 mL
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil 15 mL, olive or sesame
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ lb asparagus 280 g, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice 5 mL
- ½ cucumber
- ½ green bell pepper
- 6 sheets snack size Nori
- Garnish with sesame seeds
- ¼ cup mayonnaise 60 mL, or vegan alternative
- 2 Tbsp sriracha 30 mL
- Add cold water to rice, swish, and drain. Do this a few times until water is no longer cloudy. Add 2 cups cold water to the rice and set over high heat until water boils. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and let cook for 15 minutes, covered. Remove from heat, leaving the lid on and not stirring, and let rest for 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, soy, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 15 seconds then stir to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and asparagus, cooking until asparagus is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the avocado, cucumber, and bell pepper. Drizzle lime juice over avocado to prevent browning.
- Combine mayonnaise and sriracha.
- Sprinkle ½ of the rice vinegar mixture over the rice and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle in the rest and continue stirring.
- Spoon rice into 2 to 3 serving bowls. Top with cooked asparagus avocado, cucumber, bell pepper, and a handful of crumbled nori. Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve drizzled with sriracha mayonnaise.
Helpful products for this Sushi Bowl
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making these recipes possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more