These Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes have just TWO ingredients and are deliciously moist, chocolatey, and downright decadent! Such a fun doctored cake mix hack for easier, healthier chocolate cake.
There are probably a few reasons why this healthy chocolate cake recipe was the cake of my childhood, making appearances at every birthday and anniversary and cake-eating celebration.
I mean it’s stupid easy. Mix a box of chocolate cake mix with pumpkin. Boom, done.
And it’s healthy! You replace the eggs and oil with pureed pumpkin, which is naturally high in fiber and vitamins.
And (most of all) it’s just so delicious. It comes out tender and fluffy every time. Let’s bake!
Ingredients for this 2 ingredient chocolate cake
- Box of chocolate cake mix
- Can of pumpkin
- Okay, I lied, 3 ingredients …you also need 1/2 can of water
How to make these healthy chocolate cupcakes
Mix the chocolate cake mix with the canned pumpkin and water, then bake according to instructions on the box of cake mix. That’s it!
You can make this batter into cake rounds or cupcakes. The cupcakes will need less baking time (be sure to check the box for exact times and temps!)
Variations on these cupcakes
- Make it a cake: This will make enough for two 8-inch cakes, perfect for layering!
- Add chocolate chunks: Rather than slathering these cupcakes with icing, I love sprinkling dark chocolate chunks or chips on top before baking! They melt into chocolate morsel perfection.
- Add cherry: Substitute maraschino cherry juice for the water, then sprinkle with chopped maraschino cherries after baking!
Looking for more secretly healthy desserts?
- 1 15-oz box chocolate cake mix 425 g
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling, 425 g
- ½ can water*
- Optional: ½ cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Stir: Stir together cake mix, pumpkin, and water. then pour into greased and floured pan.
- Pour: Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pour in batter about ¾ full. Optionally sprinkle chocolate on top.
- Bake: Bake according to instructions on box of cake mix. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- *Cherry-flavored: You can replace the water with juice from a jar of maraschino cherries. Top cooked cupcakes with chopped maraschino cherries.
- Make it a cake! This will make enough for two 8-inch cakes, perfect for layering.
- Store cupcakes covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.