These all-star Brussels sprout latkes combine classic potatoes with healthy Brussels sprouts and are topped with a creamy Dijon yogurt sauce.
I recently instated Exploration Tuesdays and Fridays, days for me to peel myself away from the blog to go explore (Type A, much?) Last week a friend suggested I go explore Brussels, with it being Brussels sprout week here on the blog and all. So I thought yea! Exploration Tuesday! I’ll head down and explore Brussels and maybe Antwerp for the day! But upon realizing it was a 2 hour train ride, I decided against it.
I’m not saying I had any near-brush with the devastation that hit Brussels this Tuesday, but I guess it’s hitting me that these attacks and the evil behind them are so real. And that’s no reason to hole up in fear or avoid traveling and seeing beautiful cities like Brussels, but it should inspire us to lend our hands in help. In the wake of these attacks on the city that cultivated our spotlight ingredient, Brussels sprouts, Go Fund Me has set up a campaign to help the victims and families. Check it out here!
Now about these latkes. This is actually the first time I’ve ever successfully fried anything. After the beet chip catastrophe last year I figured frying was a complex, mystical method of which I was simply unworthy.
But I did it! And it’s delicious!! This is, however, a health food blog, so I’ll avoid getting carried away on the frying train, but for these veggie latkes, frying is just what the
doctor ordered (okay that would be a terrible doctor, how ’bout “just what the med-school-drop-out-turned-chef ordered?”).
Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and topped with a creamy Dijon yogurt sauce, these easy Brussels sprout latkes are everything.
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt 265 g, or dairy-free alternative
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 cups shredded potatoes 644 g, about 2 large potatoes
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts 255 g, shredded
- 1 cup sliced leek 100 g, about ½ of a leek
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 eggs whisked
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 75 g
- Oil for frying
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Wrap shredded potatoes in a towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Combine potatoes, Brussels sprouts, leeks, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir in whisked eggs then the flour.
- Pour ¼ inch of oil into a large saute pan and bring to medium heat. When you throw in a small piece of potato and it sizzles right away, it’s ready.
- Working in batches, gather a golf ball-sized dollop of the mixture and drop it into the pan. With a spatula, gently flatten the ball. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown, then set on a paper towel (you can turn the oven on real low and pop them in to keep warm).
- Serve warm topped with a dollop of sauce.