Crispy baked avocado is the perfect filling for this vegetarian avocado taco recipe! Avocado slices coated in panko crumbs are baked in an oven or an air fryer, then the tacos are topped with a fresh pineapple salsa and a creamy chipotle sauce. A quick and easy taco recipe ready within 30 minutes!
I used to think that tacos weren’t all that easy to make vegetarian. Chickpeas are better suited for vegetarian gyros and tofu tends to scare off the meat eaters with whom you may share a dinner table.
But you know what (almost) everyone loves? Creamy, dreamy, healthy avocados! So today we’re nixing the faux-meats and throwing some crispy avocados into this next-level vegetarian taco recipe! This is one of my favorite avocado recipes, and soon to be yours too!
I used to always bake my avocados, but after getting an air fryer I’ve changed my ways! Air frying your avocados makes them so much crispier, while cooking them a lot faster. But feel free to use either method for these vegetarian avocado tacos!
Ingredients for these Avocado Tacos
- Avocados: Breaded with panko then either baked or air fried into crispy perfection.
- Pineapple Salsa: We’ll make a quick pineapple salsa, but feel free to sub your favorite store bought salsa!
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce: A simple combo of yogurt, mayo, and adobo sauce (from a jar of chipotle peppers). This stuff is always a hit at taco nights!
How to make avocado tacos
It looks complicated, but I promise it’s simple. Throw pineapple, tomato, some peppers, and spices into a food processor and blitz. Salsa, done.
Finally, whip together a tangy, creamy chipotle sauce. Toss it all onto a flour tortilla (or hard shell if that’s your style), fold in half, enter taco heaven.
Salsa (can sub your favorite store bought)
- 1 cup finely chopped or crushed pineapple 240 g
- 1 roma tomato finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup finely diced red onion about ½ of an onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ jalapeno finely diced
- Pinch each cumin and salt
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup all purpose flour 35 g
- 1 large egg whisked
- diced cup panko crumbs 65 g
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 flour tortillas click for recipe
- ¼ cup plain yogurt 60 g
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise 30 g
- ¼ tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce from a jar of chipotle peppers
- Salsa: Combine all Salsa ingredients (finely chop by hand or blitz in the food processor), cover, and set in fridge.
- Prep Avocado: Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Place avocado skin side down and cut each half into 4 equal sized pieces, then gently peel the skin off of each.
- Prep Station: Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) or air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Arrange your workspace so you have a bowl of flour, a bowl of whisked egg, a bowl of panko with salt and pepper mixed in, and a parchment-lined baking sheet at the end.
- Coat: Dip each avocado slice first in the flour, then egg, then panko. Place on the prepared baking sheet and either bake or air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until lightly browned.
- Sauce: While avocados are cooking, combine all Sauce ingredients.
- Serve: Spoon salsa onto a tortilla, top with 2 pieces of avocado, and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!