These Buffalo Tempeh Sandwiches are stuffed with crispy baked tempeh buffalo tenders, creamy ranch slaw, tomatoes, and avocado! They’re a hearty vegetarian sandwich that everyone will go wild for.
But the thing with tempeh is, you have to do something with it. Like chickpeas plain, fine, throw them on a salad, it’s okay. But with tempeh that just won’t work. Tempeh recipes require a little coaxing to come out of its shell. But when it does, it’s a game changer.
Case in point, these Buffalo Tempeh Sandwiches. Crispy (from baking) and packed with buffalo sauce flavor, it’s the epitome of healthy(ish) comfort food.
Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich Ingredients
- Buffalo Tempeh Tenders: Transfer tempeh into a crispy, buffalo packed tender, then plop it on a sandwich like the stuff of vegetarian bar food dreams. Get the recipe for the tempeh tenders here (30 minutes to make).
- Buns: Any bread will really work here, but I like to use something sturdy that will hold up well to all of our fillings! Head to the fresh baked bakery aisle and looks for some buns to use here.
- Coleslaw: Any variety of shredded coleslaw will do. We’ll combine it with the ranch to create a creamy crunch!
- Ranch Dressing: My favorite way to tame the buffalo flames? Ranch dressing! (Feeling adventurous? Try this homemade Kefir Ranch Dressing or this vegan Tofu Ranch Dressing)
- Your favorite veggies: Tomatoes, avocado, cucumber…anything goes!
How to make these tempeh sandwiches
Step 1: Make The Tempeh Tenders
Prepare the Buffalo Tempeh Tenders (15 minutes hands-on work, 15 minutes baking).
Step 2: Ranch Slaw
Meanwhile, stir together the coleslaw and ranch.
Step 3: Assemble
When tenders are hot from the oven, spoon ranch slaw onto each bun, followed by tomatoes, tempeh tenders, and sliced avocados.
- Buffalo Tempeh Tenders click for recipe
- 4 buns or bread rolls
- 2 cups coleslaw
- ½ cup ranch dressing 120 g
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- Tenders: Prepare the Buffalo Tempeh Tenders (15 minutes hands-on work, 15 minutes baking).
- Ranch Slaw: Meanwhile, stir together coleslaw and ranch.
- Assemble: When tenders are hot from the oven, spoon ranch slaw onto each bun, followed by tomatoes, tempeh tenders, and sliced avocados.