Today we’re whipping up not 1, not 2, but 3 slow cooker Thanksgiving side dishes! Creamy corn, parmesan Brussels sprouts, and brown sugar sweet potatoes all stuffed into the same slow cooker and ready in 3 hours.
Last year was my first time ever hosting and making a Thanksgiving feast. And being the type A person that I am, I obviously planned out a 48 hour schedule leading up to the feast to make sure every recipe would be ready.
While it all turned out great, I was frazzled as frick. Red cheeks and frizzy hair, frantically scurrying around to get everything on the table in time. So this year I’m bringing in some hands-off recipes that will cook themselves so that I can focus on hosting!
And when it comes to hands-off cooking, a slow cooker is the answer. So today we’re making a slew of Thanksgiving side dishes at the same time. It’s ready in about 3 hours and takes care of all the busy work, meaning you can focus on creating that perfect main course (stuffed butternut squash, anyone?)
Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Side Dish Menu
- Brown sugar sweet potatoes
- Parmesan Brussels sprouts
- Creamy corn
So here’s the plan. You’ll wrap your sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and throw them in the slow cooker on high for an hour. After that hour, you’ll add in your Brussels sprouts and creamy corn mixture, each in their own little aluminum foil boat. Keep cooking for another 2 hours then serve! That’s seriously it. Let’s do this.
More Thanksgiving favorites!
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dinner on a Sheet Pan
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Grapes
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Autumn Pomegranate Salad
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Apples
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- To serve: brown sugar, pecans, butter
- 3 cups trimmed Brussels sprouts 375 g
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- To serve: grated parmesan
- 2 15-oz cans corn drained
- 1/4 cup milk 60 mL
- 6 oz cream cheese 170 g
- 2 Tbsp butter 30 g
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Sweet Potatoes: Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and set in a slow cooker. Cook on high heat for 1 hour.
- Brussels Sprouts: Meanwhile, toss together cleaned Brussels sprouts, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper (if your sprouts are large, cut in half). Wrap in aluminum foil to create a pouch. Set aside.
- Creamy Corn: Stir together all corn ingredients. Create an aluminum foil pouch, using a few layers to make it water-tight. Pour corn mixture into foil pouch and scrunch together to seal.
- Cook: After 1 hour of cooking, flip sweet potatoes then set Brussels sprout and corn pouches on top of potatoes. Cover and continue cooking on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until sprouts and potatoes are tender. Optionally broil sprouts in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the outsides.
- Serve: Keep side dishes warm in the slow cooker until ready to serve. Serve sweet potatoes with a small spoonful of brown sugar, a slab of butter, and pecans. Grate parmesan over warm Brussels sprouts.
Leave a Comment