Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Cheesy, crispy, and ultra-creamy…you need this Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese in your life. You didn’t know it, but now you do.
I’m working on getting the tulip-man to like, nay, accept the American food classics. You know, ranch dressing, Frank’s Red Hot, breakfast tacos…the good stuff. And while I’ve had *minor* success with some of them, there’s one that I just can’t get him on board with…macaroni and cheese.
I love mac ‘n’ cheese. For reference, when I was little my mom once asked me what my favorite food was that “started with a P”. My answer? “Pah-macaroni-and-cheese!” (Meanwhile, tulip-man is all “Pah-no-thank-you”.) We can’t all be perfect.
And after having some seriously tasty success with vegan cheese during nutritional yeast week, I decided to give it a go in a vegan mac ‘n’ cheese. The result? OMG guys, so much yum.
Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1 cup cashews 150 g, soaked
- 3 cups dry macaroni 300 g
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast 30 g
- ¼ tsp each chili, cumin, salt, smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup water 240 mL
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs 25 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Prep: Soak cashews in water overnight (or in very hot water for 1 hour). Cook macaroni al dente. Meanwhile, broil jalapeno on top rack of oven until blackened, then remove skin, ribs, and seeds. Finally, add carrots and a few tablespoons of water to a microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until fork tender, about 4 minutes. Drain water.
- Macaroni Time: In a blender, combine cashews, de-seeded jalapeno, drained carrot, nutritional yeast, spices, garlic, and water to a blender. Blend until smooth. Combine with cooked macaroni.
- Get Crispy (optional, but recommended): Transfer macaroni mixture to an oven-safe dish. Combine panko, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then sprinkle on top of macaroni. Broil until golden brown on top, just a few minutes.
Handy products for this Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you!) Thanks so much for dropping by and for making easy vegetarian dinner recipes like this Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese possible!