Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Cheesy, crispy, and ultra-creamy…you need this Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese in your life. You didn’t know it, but now you do.
I’m working on getting the tulip-man to like, nay, accept the American food classics. You know, ranch dressing, Frank’s Red Hot, breakfast tacos…the good stuff. And while I’ve had *minor* success with some of them, there’s one that I just can’t get him on board with…macaroni and cheese.
I love mac ‘n’ cheese. For reference, when I was little my mom once asked me what my favorite food was that “started with a P”. My answer? “Pah-macaroni-and-cheese!” (Meanwhile, tulip-man is all “Pah-no-thank-you”.) We can’t all be perfect.
And after having some seriously tasty success with vegan cheese during nutritional yeast week, I decided to give it a go in a vegan mac ‘n’ cheese. The result? OMG guys, so much yum.
Smoky Jalapeno Vegan Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1 cup cashews 150 g, soaked
- 3 cups dry macaroni 300 g
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast 30 g
- ¼ tsp each chili, cumin, salt, smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup water 240 mL
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs 25 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Prep: Soak cashews in water overnight (or in very hot water for 1 hour). Cook macaroni al dente. Meanwhile, broil jalapeno on top rack of oven until blackened, then remove skin, ribs, and seeds. Finally, add carrots and a few tablespoons of water to a microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until fork tender, about 4 minutes. Drain water.
- Macaroni Time: In a blender, combine cashews, de-seeded jalapeno, drained carrot, nutritional yeast, spices, garlic, and water to a blender. Blend until smooth. Combine with cooked macaroni.
- Get Crispy (optional, but recommended): Transfer macaroni mixture to an oven-safe dish. Combine panko, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then sprinkle on top of macaroni. Broil until golden brown on top, just a few minutes.
Handy products for this Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you!) Thanks so much for dropping by and for making easy vegetarian dinner recipes like this Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah! We’re working our way through the easy vegetarian kitchen, one ingredient at a time. Learn more and follow along!
Join the Eatmail for exclusive recipes, meal ideas PLUS our FREE green smoothies eBook!