Up your macaroni n cheese game with this Truffle Mac and Cheese recipe. It’s made with white cheddar cheese and mustard for a flavor combo made more intense with a bit of truffle oil! Ready on the stove in under 30 minutes.
Ahhh, macaroni and cheese. It has my heart in all of its flavors and variations, no matter the noodle shape or type of cheese. It’s just the best.
By this point, I thought I’d had all of the variations the cheesy dish had to offer. We had mac and cheese with cauliflower and spaghetti squash and we even cooked it over the campfire! And then I discovered the magic of truffle mac and cheese.
For some reason, adding truffle to a dish just takes it up a notch. Yeah, the flavors are great, but it just feels fancier too, you know? Truffle fries, truffle bruschetta, truffle soup… add truffle, and it’s next level. This fancy truffle mac and cheese is no different! By adding just a little bit (1 teaspoon, to be exact), we’re able to totally transform the flavor of the entire dish. A little bit of truffle oil goes a long way, and using it here is a great way to amplify the flavor through the cheese.
Ingredients in this truffle mac and cheese recipe
This fancy mac and cheese is loaded with intense, creamy flavor thanks to the milk, half and half, and butter. We’ll use some flour to thicken it up before adding flavor with cheese, truffle oil, mustard, salt, and pepper!
- Elbow Pasta: Start with 1 lb of elbow macaroni. This will create 6 generous servings!
- Milk: Next, you’ll need milk. While you could use plant-based, I recommend sticking to cow’s milk — stick with 3 cups of either 2% or whole milk (milk replacements for mac and cheese here).
- Half and Half: Increase the creaminess by including 1 cup of half and half.
- Unsalted Butter: Next, use ½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter to get that deluxe mac and cheese texture. The butter will be the base of our roux! (Amp up the truffle flavor by using truffle butter!)
- Flour: ½ cup of all-purpose flour will be used to create the roux, which will ultimately thicken the cheese sauce into the perfect creamy consistency.
- White Cheddar Cheese: Finally, the cheese! Use 8 oz of shredded white cheddar for a delicious flavor that pairs incredibly well with the truffle oil.
- Truffle Oil: Add the signature truffle flavor by using 1 tablespoon of truffle oil. It seems like a small amount, but it’s plenty! Here’s how to make your own truffle oil.
- Dijon Mustard: Add a dash of dijon mustard, which helps to cut through the heavy creamy flavors. I promise it won’t actually add any detectable mustard flavor!
- Salt and Pepper: Last but not least, start with ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper (each), and add more to taste as needed.
Wait so…what are truffles? Truffles are an edible fungi with an intensely earthy, garlicky, musky flavor!
How to make truffle oil mac and cheese
The magic of truffle macaroni lies in the sauce. We’ll whisk it together with the seasonings and mustard to create an intense mac and cheese flavor before tossing it into a bowl to enjoy! The entire recipe should take only 30 minutes.
Step 1: Prepare the pasta
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
Step 2: Create the sauce
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk and half and half. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until warm. In a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium until melted. Whisk in the flour and let cook for about a minute. Next, whisk in the warmed milk mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for a few minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Step 3: Add the flavor
Stir in the cheese until it is melted. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the truffle oil, mustard, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed.
Step 4: Assemble the dish
Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked pasta and gently fold them together. Serve immediately.
Extras can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.
Truffle Macaroni Variations
There are a couple of ways that you can switch up your recipe, either for a different cheese flavor or a crisper final result!
Switch the cheese: Optionally replace some of the white cheddar with sharp cheddar, gruyere, smoked gouda, or Monterey jack. Though each type of cheese creates a different flavor, they all have one thing in common: they’re great cheeses for mac and cheese!
Make things crispy: For a crispier result, spoon the prepared mac and cheese into a casserole dish and sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top. Broil for a few minutes until the top becomes golden brown and crispy!
Recipes to enjoy with truffle mac n cheese
Pair your mac and cheese with one of these easy vegetarian recipes for a complete and flavorful meal!
- 1 lb elbow pasta 453 g
- 3 cups milk 2% or whole, 709 mL
- 1 cup half and half 236 mL
- ½ cup unsalted butter 112 g
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 50 g
- 8 oz white cheddar cheese shredded, 226 g
- 1 Tbsp truffle oil 15 mL
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper or to taste
- Pasta: Cook pasta according to instructions on package.
- Sauce: In a microwave safe bowl, combine milk and half and half. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until warm. In a large saute pan, heat butter over medium until melted. Whisk in the flour and let cook for about a minute. Whisk in warmed milk mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for a few minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Flavor: Stir in the cheese until melted. Remove from heat and stir in truffle oil, mustard, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Assemble: Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked pasta and gently fold together. Serve immediately.