Treat your family and friends to Chewy Date Cookies, delicious treats filled with a chewy crunch and a satisfying flavor!
Yeah, yeah, chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious. But have you ever tried chewy date cookies? These treats are just as sweet as the chocolate chip classic but contain rich and natural mouth watering flavor.
When paired with pecans and almonds, the dates provide the perfect touch of sweetness to create a sweet, crunchy, chewy cookie. They’re a must for this year’s holiday cookie exchange!
In addition to providing great flavor, dates contain loads of nutrients (think fiber, protein, potassium, and healthy, natural carbs), and they’re packed with antioxidants! They’re the perfect addition to any sweet treat.
Ingredients in date filled cookies
This date cookie recipe is filled with more than just dates. Each cookie is also pecan filled, sugar filled, and flavor filled! This ingredient combo uses all of the baking classics – butter, flour, almond extract – in addition to chopped nuts, and of course, dates.
- Butter: Date cookies begin with softened unsalted butter. You’ll need ¾ cup, which will amount to 1 ½ sticks.
- White Sugar: As for the sugar, we’re using a half and half combo starting with ½ cup of white sugar.
- Light Brown Sugar: Then, throw in ½ cup of light brown sugar.
- Egg: This recipe calls for 1 large egg, though I list an easy vegan alternative below.
- Almond Extract: Next, throw in 1 tsp of almond extract. This ingredient really gives these cookies that nutty flavor! In a pinch you could use vanilla extract instead.
- Flour: As for flour, you’ll need 1 ¾ cup of all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda: Throw in 1 tsp to help the cookies achieve that fluffy texture.
- Salt: salt not only amplifies the flavor of these cookies, but it helps to keep the dough tender!
- Chopped Dates: Finally, the dates! ¾ cup will be the perfect amount, though you can add a little extra if you really love dates.
- Chopped Pecans: For a nutty finish, include ¾ cup of chopped pecans.
- Chopped Almonds: Finally, these cookies are complete with ¾ cup of almonds (or you can also use extra pecans).
How to make chewy date cookies
Chewy date nut cookies are great in a pinch – they come together in only 25 minutes! We start by mixing the wet ingredients and then the dry, fold the wet and the dries together, form them into balls, and bake. It’s a simple recipe and will only require 10 hands-on minutes.
Step 1: Heat the oven
First, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
Step 2: Soften the butter
Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat it in 10 second bursts, until soft (but not melted).
Step 3: Mix the wet ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and sugars together. Add the egg and almond extract, beating briefly to combine.
Step 4: Mix the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
Step 5: Combine the ingredients
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wets, folding to combine. Then, fold in the chopped dates, pecans, and almonds.
Step 6: Roll and bake
Next, roll the dough into 18 large balls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies look puffy and are just barely golden. Do not over bake.
Step 7: Squish
Finally, while the cookies are still soft, lightly flatten each one with a spatula. Allow them to cool before removing them from the sheet and serving.
Vegan-ize your date cookies
Wondering how to skip the dairy and eggs? Here are some alternatives!
The butter can be replaced with your favorite plant-based version. I recommend using vegan butter sticks (rather than spread) to achieve a similar consistency.
As for the egg, this can be replaced by creating a chia egg! Simply mix 1 Tbsp of chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of water. Allow it to sit and form a “gel,” and then add it to the batter where it calls for the egg.
More sweets to enjoy
If you liked these date cookies, you’ll want to try some of my other unique cookie renditions. These recipes feature everything from berries and chia seeds to vegan cream cheese and sweet potatoes!
- Sweet Potato Cookies
- Berry Baked Alaska Cookies
- Cherry Cheesecake Oat Cookies
- Strawberry Chia Oatmeal Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter 1 ½ sticks, 171 g
- ½ cup white sugar 100 g
- ½ cup light brown sugar 100 g
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp almond extract 5 mL
- 1 ¾ cup flour 210 g
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cups chopped dates 120 g
- ¾ cups chopped pecans 120 g
- ¾ cup chopped almonds or use more pecans, 120 g
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Butter: Place butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 10 second bursts, until butter is soft but not melted.
- Wets: In a large mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and sugars. Add the egg and almond extract, beating briefly to combine.
- Dries: In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine: Add dry ingredients to the bowl with the wets, folding to combine. Fold in chopped dates, pecans, and almonds.
- Bake: Roll the dough into 18 large balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies look puffy and just barely golden (do not over bake).
- Squish: While cookies are still soft, lightly flatten each with a spatula. Allow to cool before removing from the sheet and serving.
Leave a Comment