Satisfy nearly every flavor craving — sour, salty, savory, and sweet — with Sauerkraut Salad! This easy dish comes together in under ten minutes and is super satisfying and filling.
You know that feeling when you get your hands on a salad that tastes so good, you think to yourself “now this is how a salad should be.” That’s exactly how you’ll feel with this delicious, crunchy, savory cold sauerkraut salad.
For this dish, we’re mixing together a long list of diced up veggies and topping them off with some zingy sauerkraut and a delicious (slightly sweet) dressing. It comes together in about 10 minutes and requires at least 30 minutes of “chill time” in the fridge. But the longer it sits, the better it tastes!
Ingredients in cold sauerkraut salad
This salad is packed with everything good — crunchy veggies, savory, sour and salty flavors.
- Sauerkraut: Start with 4 cups of juicy sauerkraut. Feeling adventurous? Here’s how to make your own!
- Onion: Next you’ll need to dice up 1 medium white onion.
- Celery: For celery, dice up 2 full ribs.
- Bell Pepper: Next, throw in 1 diced bell pepper. Any color works well here!
- Carrot: Follow that up with a diced carrot.
- Pimento Peppers: Lastly for the salad, include 1 4-oz jar of pimento peppers. Strain them before adding to the salad.
- Sugar: Sweeten up the salad by including ¼ cup of sugar in the dressing. While sugar may sound odd in a salad, it is crucial in helping to bring balance to this salad (we’ve also reduced the amount of sugar significantly, most sauerkraut salad recipes include over 1 cup of sugar!)
- Oil: Give it an oil base with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Next, include 2 tablespoons of ACV.
- Dijon: Follow that up with 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
- Salt: Last but not least, ½ teaspoon of salt brings the entire dish together!
How to make this sauerkraut salad recipe
Making this salad is as simple as chopping and mixing. Start by cutting your veggies, and then toss ’em in a bowl with the kraut. Add the dressing, chill, and enjoy!
Step 1: Prep the veggies
Chop all of the vegetables that need chopping.
Step 2: Mix the ingredients
In a large salad bowl, toss together all of the salad ingredients.
Step 3: Create the dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Step 4: Combine the salad and dressing
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything to combine.
Step 5: Refrigerate and enjoy
This salad is best if refrigerated for at least 30 minutes before serving, though it gets better with time!
Optional ingredients to add
So you want to add to your salad, but you’re stumped on what could work! Well, I’ve got some solutions. Like a little heat? Throw in some chopped jalapeños for a kick. Add some refreshing flavor with a chopped cucumber. Or, mix things up by using red onion for extra potency.
More fun salad recipes
Fill up on some more fun salad options that are so loaded, they hardly feel like salads at all!
- 4 cups sauerkraut 480 g
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 4-oz jar pimento peppers drained, 113 g
- ¼ cup sugar 25 g
- 2 Tbsp oil 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 30 mL
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5 g
- ½ tsp salt
- Prep: Chop all veggies that need chopping.
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss together all of the Salad ingredients.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the Dressing ingredients.
- Mix: Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate: Best if refrigerated at least 30 minutes before serving, though it gets better with time!