Herby Ricotta Stuffed Peppers
These Herby Ricotta Stuffed Peppers taste straight out of Tuscany with fresh herbs, creamy ricotta, and sharp parmesan. Ready in about 30 minutes (with just 5 minutes of hands-on time), they’re a simple side dish that packs a punch of flavor. (Thank you to Soft Surroundings for sponsoring this post!)
For someone who loves Italy and Italian food, there’s a severe lack of Italian food here on Live Eat Learn. I mean we’ve made risotto and obviously pizza, but I’ve always been a bit anxious to dive into real Italian food. Because I got the feeling that it wouldn’t even come close to replicating the amazing tastes you get when you’re actually in Italy. I guess I thought real Italian food could only be food you eat in Italy, ya know? As it turns out, I was terribly wrong.
Italian food draws on simple flavors and ingredients, meaning you actually can create some amazing Italian dishes in your kitchen. A revelation I made after flipping through the Tuscan Sun Cookbook. I got this cookbook, written by Frances Mayes (author to the infamous Under the Tuscan Sun), from Soft Surroundings.
Soft Surroundings, if you haven’t heard of them, are the place to go for all sorts of everyday luxury products. I’m talking clothes, jewelry, bedding. Basically, they work to make “treat yo self” a way of life. They recently launched a travel section to their website, featuring a place near and dear to my heart (and belly)…Tuscany! Head over to their travel section to check out their spring and summer products (which range from beauty to clothes to cookbooks!) Or browse their store locator to find a shop near you.
When Soft Surroundings asked me to share a recipe from the Tuscan Sun Cookbook on the blog, obviously I was all hands-down-yes-please-lets-do-this. Because is there anything I love more than Italian food, cookbooks, travel, and online shopping? No friends, there is not. So today I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes from Frances Mayes’ cookbook (though it was hard to choose just one) (and I definitely considered sharing a whole Italian style meal so as not to have to pick favorites.)
But these Herby Ricotta Stuffed Peppers stood out to me. They have an herb-packed ingredients list that balances perfectly with fresh grated parmesan and ricotta. You’ll essentially just mix it all together, stuff into peppers, and bake! In half an hour your home will smell like a Tuscan cottage. Sound good? Let’s cook.
Herby Ricotta Stuffed Peppers
- 5 yellow or red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta 453 g
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions about 4 green onions
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp each: fresh mint, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan 56 g
- 1 tsp fennel flowers optional
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs combined with a dash of oil
- Char Peppers (optional): For a smokier flavor, quickly char peppers on the grill of open-flame stovetop (if you have access to these; if not, just skip this step). Cool then peel off blackened skin.
- Prep Peppers: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and ribs. Brush peppers all over with olive oil.
- Stuff Peppers: In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, basil, onions, herbs, salt, and pepper. Beat in the eggs and parmesan. Fill peppers with the mixture and top wth fennel flowers and breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until ricotta is set and breadcrumbs are golden.
Thanks again to Soft Surroundings for sponsoring this post! Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making recipes like these Herby Ricotta Stuffed Peppers possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more