This vegan jackfruit smoothie will bring the tropics to your table! The bright yellow color is so summery and fun (not to mention that sweet tropical flavor)!
You might be familiar with using jackfruit as a vegan pulled pork alternative (jackfruit carnitas anyone?). That’s because the texture is fibrous like pineapple, and when cooked, many say it has a meaty taste to it. However, when eaten raw, jackfruit is very fruity and sweet, kinda like bananas, pineapples, and mango all at once! Making a vegan jackfruit milkshake is tons of fun once you dig in.
This basic jackfruit smoothie is made with just coconut milk and a squeeze of lime, ensuring the tropics come through! Check out the variations below as well, to truly make it your own. It would even be delicious as a smoothie bowl with some flaked coconut on top.
Ingredients for Jackfruit Smoothie
Check your local asian grocery store for this huge bumpy fruit! Many should have it fresh, and that is definitely what you should use in this smoothie, as the canned versions are cooked and will have that meaty flavor.
- Jackfruit: You’ve always wanted to try it, right? There are so many fun looking fruits in the produce aisle that you need to grab and give a shot! Read all about jackfruit here.
- Lime juice: Make sure and grab a couple limes as well. Fresh citrus juice is best, and helps to cut through the thick sweetness of the jackfruit.
- Light Coconut Milk: This will be your liquid to get the fibrous fruit to blend.
Unfamiliar with coconut milk? I used canned light coconut milk here. This product has a higher water content and lower fat content than full-fat coconut milk (which is the can with the layer of delicious cream on top).
How to make Jackfruit Milkshake
The most time-consuming part is getting the flesh from the fruit!
Step 1: Blend
Add all ingredients to your high-powered blender jar and go! Some blenders have a smoothie button and others are controlled manually. Just give it a go and get the fruit to start getting chopped up before ramping up your speed. You can add ice if you like a thicker smoothie and your blender can tolerate it.
(Not sure how to cut jackfruit? Here’s how!)
The great thing about smoothie recipes is how adjustable they are!
- Jackfruit Smoothie Bowl: Use ice to thicken and then top with fruit or granola.
- Jackfruit Mango Smoothie: Add more tropical fun by throwing in ripe mango.
- Jackfruit Banana Smoothie: Add a frozen banana for extra creaminess.
- Canned Jackfruit Smoothie: Find a can in water or syrup as that is sweeter and like a canned fruit rather than options canned with brine.
- Jackfruit Green Smoothie: Add a handful of spinach or kale for a superman punch.
Bring the Tropics to Brunch
A tropical drink is perfect for porch sipping. Enjoy it alone or as a meal with these options.
- Tropical Quinoa Granola, is the perfect addition on top of your jackfruit smoothie.
- Avocado Toast, would be great to turn your milkshake into a meal.
- Goat Cheese & Leek Quiche, is a great savory brunch option to pair with this sweet drink.
- 3 cups ripe jackfruit about 200 g
- 1 cup light coconut milk from a can, 236 mL
- 2 to 4 Tbsp lime juice 30 to 60 mL
- Optional: Ice
- Blend: Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Optionally add a handful of ice to make the smoothie cold and frosty!