These vegetarian Scotch Eggs will be a real show-stopper whether you serve them at brunch or as an appetizer!
What are Scotch eggs?
Inspired by my trip to Scotland recently, I just knew I had to create a vegetarian Scotch egg! While not actually Scottish (they’re English), they are certainly served and enjoyed in Scotland! Ground sausage is typically used as a wrapper for a boiled egg, so my vegan breakfast sausage fits the bill perfectly! The sausage balls are then given a crispy coating and fried to perfection.
And I’ve just got to say it – this isn’t necessarily and easy recipe. It takes some time. But they’re so fun to make these to share a traditional English breakfast with your friends on a weekend morning!
Ingredients for Vegetarian Scotch Eggs
The Scotch Egg is a traditional British food that got its name from a restaurant owner whose surname was Scott – so “Scotties.” Sausage is normally wrapped around a hardboiled egg before breading and frying, and it’s often served as a picnic snack. Here’s what you need for our vegetarian rendition.
- Vegan Sausage: Used to wrap up the eggs nice and tight! Our vegan breakfast sausage recipe fits the bill, and it ready to go in about 20 minutes.
- Eggs: A nice boost of vegetarian protein and the star of the show. Aim to use slightly older eggs, which are easier to peel once boiled.
- Flour: With beaten eggs, helps the breading stick to the egg.
- Panko: These larger bread crumbs offer the best crispy texture to our Scotch eggs.
Make Ahead Tip
Make your breakfast sausage and boil the eggs in advance. This can help you get the completed Scotch eggs to the table as you’ll have the most time-consuming parts of the recipe done! You could even wrap the eggs in the sausage and toss back in the fridge a couple of hours before breading and frying.
How to make Vegetarian Scotch Eggs
Hoo boy! This one can take a while because you are making sausage from scratch and boiling eggs, before marrying them in the deep fryer. The very definition of “labor of love”.
Step 1: Make Sausage
Make a double batch of Vegan Breakfast Sausage. This can be done the day before and stored in the fridge.
Step 2: Soft Boil Eggs
Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Bring water to a boil and add eggs straight from the fridge. Cook for 6 minutes before transferring to the ice bath. Let cool, then peel and set aside.
Step 3: Wrap
Divide the prepared sausage mixture into 6 portions. Pat into a circle and place a cooked egg inside. Carefully mold the sausage around the egg so it is completely covered. Pinch out any gaps or holes, which can cause the crust to crack when you drop it in the deep fryer.
Step 4: Breading Station
Set up your dredging station! A bowl of flour, then a bowl of whisked eggs, and finally a bowl of panko.
Step 5: Bread
One sausage at a time, work them through the flour, egg, and panko. Then repeat egg and panko for a second coat to make the Scotch eggs nice and uniform.
Step 6: Fry
Heat enough oil to fully cover the eggs. 350 is the perfect frying temperature. Fry the assembled eggs for 5 minutes or until beautifully golden brown. Let drain on a wire rack.
Step 7: Serve
HP Sauce, mustard… anything goes, but these are the classics.
Easy Peeling: Don’t use farm fresh eggs here! Or do, but let them sit for a few days first. “Old” eggs are easier to peel once boiled.
Fry it Up: I prefer deep frying these, as the flavor can’t be beat. But you can also give these a go in the air fryer for about 25 minutes.
Breakfast Fit for A Queen
Go all-in and make a full English breakfast by serving the Scotch eggs with tomato slices, beans, and a sausage of your choosing.
- Tempeh Bacon can add even more protein the meal!
- Fizzy Cold Brew offers a refreshing way to wash down your eggs.
- Summer Veggie Salad is a light, crisp side dish that will pair nicely with a heavy main.
- Or serve these for dinner with Scottish Neeps and Tatties!
- 2 batches Vegan Breakfast Sausage click for the recipe
- 8 large eggs* divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 60 g
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 60 g
- 4 cups vegetable oil 950 mL
- Make Sausage: Make a double batch of our Vegan Breakfast Sausage (20 minutes to make). Keep it chilled while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Soft Boil Eggs: Set a large pot of ice water near your stove. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Gently lower 6 eggs straight from the fridge into the water, cover, and cook for exactly 6 minutes**. Immediately transfer eggs to a prepared ice bath to cool, then peel.
- Wrap: Portion your Vegan Breakfast Sausage into 6 balls. Working one at a time, flatten a ball in your palms, then carefully wrap it around a peeled egg, molding it to completely cover the egg (there shouldn't be any gaps in the sausage).
- Breading Station: Place flour in one bowl. In a second bowl, whisk the 2 remaining eggs well. Place panko in a third bowl.
- Bread: Working one at a time, dip each Scotch egg first in the flour, then egg, then panko. Repeat the egg and panko step for a nice and even coating.
- Fry: Heat oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 350ºF (176ºC), ensuring oil level will be high enough to completely cover the eggs. Working in batches, gently lower the eggs into the oil, cooking for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer finished Scotch eggs to a wire rack.
- Serve: Serve hot with HP Sauce and/or mustard!
Leave a Comment