This Honey and Lime Grilled Pineapple comes together in just minutes and is healthy taste of the tropics (especially topped with coconut ice cream!)
My obsession with pineapple began when I was young on our family’s annual trips to Hawaii. Living in Alaska meant dealing with some serious cold and dark spells, so each spring our family would fly south to defrost on the warm beaches of Hawaii. And growing up in Alaska meant we never had the cream of the crop when it came to exotic fruits. You’d pay big money for a pineapple in Alaska, only to find it pale, sour, and far less than satisfying.
So when I first sunk my teeth into a Hawaiian pineapple while visiting the Dole Plantation on Oahu, my world flipped upside down. The rest of that vacation was spent in oscillation between stuffing my face with pineapple, not being able to eat anymore on account of the bromelain in it burning my tongue, and impatiently waiting to be able to eat pineapple again. It was a vicious, delicious cycle.
And since visiting Southeast Asia last month, I’ve been antsy to incorporate some tropical flavor into the potato/cheese/bread-happy routine that is Dutch cuisine.
Thanks to the help of The Vegetarian Flavor Bible , I learned that pineapple actually goes really well with lime and honey, and so this Honey and Lime Grilled Pineapple was born!
- 1 pineapple
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup for vegan option
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Recommended for serving: coconut ice cream or sorbet
- Cut the pineapple into ¾ inch slabs (about 8 pieces), leaving the skin on as decoration or cutting it off (completely up to you!)
- Whisk together honey and lime juice in a bowl. Brush onto each side of the pineapple slabs.
- Heat either a grill or grill skillet to medium heat and grease well. Cook pineapples for about 3 minutes on each side, or until char lines develop, increasing heat if necessary.
- Transfer to serving plates, sprinkle with shredded coconut, and top with a scoop of coconut ice cream. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment