Best Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
These are seriously the BEST Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes and blow the store bought mixes out of the water. Ultra-fluffy, melt in your mouth, and easy to make!
I’ll be the first to admit, I used to rely on Bisquick for any and all breakfast baked goods. Like I thought making pancakes with Bisquick was homemade pancakes. That is until I moved to Europe and suddenly boxed pancake mix wasn’t available for those Saturday morning pancake cravings.
So I did what I never thought possible and…made them from scratch. Which was when I realized you have everything you need to make amazing homemade pancakes (without needing yet another box cluttering up your pantry). Today I’m showing you my favorite Saturday morning breakfast, Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes!
What does buttermilk do in pancakes?
You may be wondering, “why buttermilk in pancakes?” To which I would say, “because, MAGIC”. Buttermilk works wonders for making your pancakes fluffy and tender. The acidity in the buttermilk reacts with the baking soda to make these the fluffiest pancakes (without having to add any baking powder).
You can use fresh or from-powder buttermilk (or even make your own buttermilk by combining 1 cup of cow’s milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice). Then it’s as simple as mixing everything together and cooking into golden, delicious pancakes!
Important Ingredients for Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- All-purpose flour: I haven’t tried a gluten-free version of this recipe, but try out these gluten-free Banana Pancakes if you’re looking for something of the sort!
- Baking soda: Most pancake recipes use baking soda and baking powder. We just need baking soda today, because the acidity of the buttermilk is enough to activate the baking soda (baking powder has the “activators” already in it).
- Buttermilk: The acidity of buttermilk makes these pancakes tender and fluffy by breaking the tough gluten in the flour.
- Eggs: Along with the baking soda, eggs are going to give some seriously delicious volume to these buttermilk pancakes!
- Melted butter: Finally, melted butter not only helps to keep the pancakes moist, but keeps them from sticking to the pan. Double win!
Hungry for more pancake recipes?
Here are a few more reader-favorite pancake recipe to try out on Saturday morning!
- Pineapple Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
- Fluffy Beer Pancakes (you read that right!)
- Flourless Banana Pancakes
- Better than Bisquick Vanilla Pancakes
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240 g
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk 480 mL
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, 45 g
- Stir: Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Add buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until mostly combined (some lumps in the batter is okay, do not over stir).
- Cook: Lightly grease a large saute pan and set over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup portions of pancake batter into the pan, cooking until you see bubbles form on top and bottom is golden brown. Flip and continue cooking until golden brown.
- Serve: Set oven to 200 degrees F (95 C). Keep cooked pancakes warm by setting on an oven-safe baking sheet and placing in the oven.
This post first appeared over on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I’m a contributor. Thanks so much for dropping by and for making easy recipes like these Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes possible!