I came to the realization this week that I’m not exploring enough. I mean I’ve piddled about my new little town and I’ve ventured into Rotterdam and Amsterdam a few times, but I haven’t really done any ground breaking exploring. So the tulip-man and I came up with a solution…Exploration Fridays! (how’s that for a name?) On Fridays he’ll cold call new prospects for his brand new company, and I’ll…well I’ll explore! Today I’m thinking my exploration will involve finding some good bike stores so I can pimp my ride, a.k.a the bike the tulip-man got me for Christmas, a white, wide-handled beach cruiser we affectionately call Yeti the Fire Storm. What will you be exploring this weekend?
Might I suggest you explore the phenomenon that is the Buddha Bowl? I saw these popping up on restaurant menus in the new-agey Pearl district back when I lived in San Antonio, and, well, they’re pretty amazing. The general concept is that they’re a completely balanced, usually plant-based meal…in a bowl! It goes a bit like this:
Because this week is all about mandarin oranges here on the blog, we’re topping this Buddha Bowl with a creamy orange dressing that is actually the best thing ever.
And these are so versatile. You can serve them all pretty and organized or mix ’em all up! They’re the perfect excuse to use any and all fruits and veggies you have on hand, which, with my fascination of Dutch groceries, happens to be a lot lately.
- ¼ cup (60 g) plain yogurt (or dairy-free alternative)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey (can sub maple syrup or agave)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 big handfuls of greens (your choice, I used spinach)
- 1 cup (182 g) cooked bulgur* (can sub quinoa, couscous, or brown rice)
- 1 cup (200 g) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 ½ cup, 310 g soaked chickpeas if starting from dry)
- 1 cup (100 g) blueberries
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 small avocados, sliced
- ½ small red onion, sliced (about ½ cup)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Divide greens into 4 servings bowls, then top each with equal portions of cooked bulgur, chickpeas, blueberries, orange slices, avocado, onion, and carrot.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.