Cream cheese and fresh herbs make these Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms the perfect appetizer or snack!
If you have ever been invited to a holiday party or work event as a vegetarian, you know the sheer fear of 1) trying to come up with something to bring that is vegetarian and everyone will like, and 2) deciding if you can eat at said party.
The good news is these vegetarian stuffed mushrooms are a crowd pleaser and vegetarian! These stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese are packed with garlic, thyme, and parmesan (yes, more cheese!) and topped with crunchy Italian bread crumbs. Let’s cook!
Ingredients for Stuffed Mushrooms
The magic of these mushrooms in the filling. Stuffed with fresh herbs, salty cheese, garlic and onion – these little appetizers are heavenly bites!
- Mushrooms: The key ingredient! For this recipe, you will need button mushrooms. These are little mushrooms that are perfectly suited for being stuffed with cheese and eaten in one or two bites.
- Onions and Garlic: What recipe is complete without onions and garlic??
- Breadcrumbs: I use Italian breadcrumbs to add some more flavor to this dish while keeping the ingredients list to a minimum. But, you could use any type of bread crumbs or stale bread!
- Cream Cheese: The other key ingredient! I use plain full-fat cream cheese, but you could also use herbed cream cheese.
- Parmesan: Parmesan is a salty cheese that adds the perfect earthy creaminess to these mushrooms! I always prefer to grate it myself, because the cheese that comes pre-grated usually has anti-caking agents that influence the flavor (check that ingredients label next time and you’ll see)!
- Herbs and Seasonings: These mushrooms use a combination of fresh thyme and parsley and then a little salt and pepper.
If you don’t have any breadcrumbs, you can make your own! Use day-old bread and chop it up small. Then add to a pan and toast it in the oven for 10 minutes with a little oil and Italian seasoning. Once crispy, remove from the oven, let cool, and then use the side of a knife to crunch up the bread into little bread crumbs!
How to make Stuffed Mushrooms
Making these tasty bites is so simple. Just mix up the filling, stuff, and bake!
Step 1: Prep Mushrooms
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Wipe the dirt off of each mushroom. Pluck out the stems and chop them up finely. Place the mushroom caps on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step 2: Flavor Base
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, then add onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add Stems
Add chopped mushroom stems to the pan of onions and continue cooking until they release their moisture and it evaporates, about 5 to 10 minutes. This will prevent soggy stuffed mushrooms when baking.
Step 4: Filling
Remove from heat and stir in all remaining ingredients until well blended. Carefully spoon a bit of filling into each hollowed-out mushroom. (I like to do this over the pan so that it catches any fillings that fall out during the stuffing process!)
Step 5: Bake
Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Save It: These store great sealed in a container in the fridge for 5 days. This makes them great for prepping the day before a party! To reheat, just pop them in the oven until hot, or chuck them in your air fryer!
Variations: Looking to switch up this vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipe? Try adding goat cheese or red pepper flakes for a spicy take. You could also try drizzling some pesto on top.
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
These can easily be made into vegan stuffed mushrooms by simply replacing the creamy cheese with a vegan cream cheese, and omit the parmesan!
More Vegetarian Apps
With these other tasty vegetarian appetizer recipes, you will have enough to feed a crowd!
- Whipped Feta and Corn Crostini come together in minutes and feature fresh vegetables and salty feta.
- Avocado Pesto Pinwheels are kid-friendly and everyone loves them!
- Roasted Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates are one of my ultimate favorites! Everyone is always surprised by how much they love them and then proceeds to ask me for the recipe!
- Olive Oil Bread Dip is filled with delicious herbs and keeps so well making it the perfect appetizer!
- 1 lb button mushrooms 450 g
- 2 Tbsp oil 30 mL
- ½ yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs 60 g
- ¼ cup cream cheese 50 g
- ¼ cup grated parmesan 30 g
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley 20 g
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Prep Mushrooms: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Wipe the dirt off of each mushroom. Pluck out the stems and chop them up finely. Place the mushroom caps on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flavor Base: Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, then add onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add Stems: Add chopped mushroom stems to the pan of onions and continue cooking until they release their moisture, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Filling: Remove from heat and stir in all remaining ingredients. Carefully spoon a bit of filling into each hollowed out mushroom.
- Bake: Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Leave a Comment