Vegetarian Egg Roll In A Bowl
This Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl is the laid back egg roll you didn’t know you needed. It has all the tasty fillings found in your favorite egg rolls, subbing out the pork for pulled oyster mushrooms!
Living in Europe means I miss out on a lot of the trends in America. Sure I know that unicorns and rainbow foods had their Instagram heydays, but then I go back and see that everyone is wearing things and listening to things and eating things and I don’t know what those things are!
Last time I went back was over Christmas, and it was at a pizza shack where I learned of two very important new trends: HQ Trivia and egg roll in a bowl. I proceeded to wishfully play HQ everyday (never getting past question 7) (ugh), but it took me a good 8 months to finally give the whole deconstructed egg roll in a bowl thing a try.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Deconstructed Egg Rolls
Most egg rolls are filled with pork or beef or something of the like, but with these being vegetarian egg roll bowls, we’re using my favorite shredded meat substitute…oyster mushrooms! Avid LEL followers are probably rolling their eyes about as hard as the tulip-man is right now (I use this type of mushroom in…everything), but hear me out!
Oyster mushrooms are going to soak up all that sesame soy flavor, giving the taste and texture you know and love in egg rolls. And with some of our easy homemade mango chutney thrown in, these egg roll bowls are pure flavor (with a whole lot of vegetables in the mix). Top them with bean sprouts for crunch or a fried egg for added pizazz!
Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil 15 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion 50 g
- 2 green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms 150 g
- 1 cup shredded carrots 75 g
- 2 cups shredded white cabbage 150 g
- 1/4 cup mango chutney 60 g
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce 15 mL, tamari for gluten-free
- Optional toppings: bean sprouts, fried egg, sesame seeds
- Flavor Base: Heat oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium/high heat. Add onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Mushrooms: Using a fork, shred the mushrooms into rough pieces. Add to the pan with the onions and continue cooking until mushrooms soften slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Veggies: Stir in the carrots, cabbage, mango chutney, and soy sauce, cooking until carrots and cabbage have softened, about 5 minutes. Serve warm, optionally topped with bean sprouts, a fried egg, and sesame seeds.
Thanks so much for dropping by and for making easy recipes like this Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl possible! If you give it a go, be sure to take a photo and tag #liveeatlearn on Insta.