Parsnip & White Bean Soup with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Warm up with this creamy parsnip and white bean soup topped with crispy Brussels sprouts. A cozy, nutritious soup that’s high on flavor.
I’ve really been fan girling over Jamie Oliver as of late. And although me and the tulip-man cringe as he throws handfuls of cloves and coriander into his dishes, I can’t help but to watch his 15 Minute Meals without end, like popping M&Ms. Because I love the message he’s sending, that we can eat good food, even if we’re busy.
And that’s where the new series on Netflix, Cooked, fell a bit short for me. In the series, Michael Pollan is really gunning for good, homemade, labor-of-love food by highlighting the enormous downsides of convenience foods. And he’s right. Convenience foods aren’t good for us, nor do they stimulate any kind of connection with the kitchen. But the solution he offers is to spend hours preparing a real, home cooked meal, and these days, almost ain’t nobody got time for that.
And that’s why Jamie is so great; he provides the solution. And he inspires me to provide a solution as well. Because as long as you don’t burn the house down, you can cook and it doesn’t have to be a big ordeal.
Enter this white bean soup.
While this soup does take a bit more cookin’ than Jamie’s 15 minutes would allot, you can get it ready, let it do it’s thing, and come back to a warm, cozy, healthy soup. Topped with oven-crisped Brussels sprouts, it can be a simple starter or a meal unto itself!
Parsnip & White Bean Soup with Crispy Brussel Sprouts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 small white onion ½ cup, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 large parsnips 430 g, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup milk 236 mL, can sub non-dairy alternative
- 2 cups vegetable stock 473 mL
- 1 cup white beans 178 g
- ¼ lemon juiced
- 15 Brussels sprouts
- ½ Tbsp olive oil 7 mL
- ¼ lemon juiced
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Bring 2 Tbsp olive oil to medium heat in a large pot. Add onions and garlic, then cook gently for 10 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add salt, pepper, and parsnip to the pot. Stir to coat, then add milk and vegetable stock.
Bring mixture to a slow simmer and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, until parsnip is fork-tender.
- While soup cooks, prepare Brussels sprouts. Clean them well then separate the leaves by trimming off the stem. Pluck off leaves then trim more of the stem as needed until you separated as many leaves as possible.
- Toss Brussels sprout leaves with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, using your fingers to work the oil into the leaves.
- Spread onto a parchment-paper lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 7 to 10 minutes, until the edges of the leaves begin to brown.
- Back to the soup. Add white beans then puree (using either a handheld immersion blender or working in batches with a standing blender).
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Drizzle with olive oil and top with crispy Brussels sprouts.
Inspired by Jamie Oliver's Spicy Parsnip Soup
Helpful products for this White Bean Soup
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making these recipes possible!