Vegetarian meatloaf has never been so easy (or so delicious)! With ingredients like mushroom, Impossible beef, and of course the ketchup topping, you’ll love this plant-based twist on an old classic.
Recently I’ve been trying to recreate the classics, vegetarian style. You know, the Shepard’s Pie and the Italian Meatballs and the Stroganoff. But there was a hole in my recipe arsenal. A loaf-shaped hole. So…let’s meatloaf!
Who says you can’t enjoy a meatless meatloaf? This delicious, hearty loaf of vegetarian goodness is the perfect answer. It’s decadent, filling, and healthy too!
Today, we’re whipping up this mushroom meatloaf recipe by blitzing up mushrooms in a food processor alongside onions and garlic. Then, we’ll mix that with some Impossible meat that tastes just like beef and leaves your tastebuds doing cartwheels.
The best part of this dish is the topping – a homemade ketchup sauce made with a blend of ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard!
Ingredients in Mushroom meatloaf
We’re using two sets of ingredients: those for the meatloaf, and those for the ketchup topping. Each mixture is made with a blend of flavor-rich items that serve as an important part in the recipe and together create something that’s truly mouthwatering!
- Mushrooms: First, begin with 1 lb of button (a.k.a. cremini or common) mushrooms. You can use brown or white mushrooms here (learn about the difference here).
- Garlic & Onion: We will pulse the mushrooms alongside ½ of a white onion and some garlic.
- Veggie Meat: As for the “meat,” we’re using Impossible Foods Ground Burger “Meat”! You will need a 12-oz package.
- Breadcrumbs: Include 1 cup of breadcrumbs, which will soak up excess moisture and give structure to the loaf.
- Italian Seasoning: For seasoning, include 1 tablespoon of Italian.
- Worcestershire Sauce: From there, add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (aim for the vegan kind if you’re strictly veg).
- Salt: Toss in ½ tsp of salt to help bring out all the flavors of our meatloaf.
- Eggs: Finally, 2 whisked eggs will work to help bind the mushroom loaf mixture together!
- Ketchup: First up for the ketchup topping is ½ cup of your favorite ketchup.
- Brown Sugar: Then, mix that with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Mustard: Last but not least, add 1 tablespoon of mustard and you’re ready to go!
How to make vegetarian meatloaf
For a rockin’ veggie meatloaf, begin with your veggies and a food processor. From there, we will mix the ingredients, create the ketchup topping, assemble, and bake!
Step 1: Blitz the mushrooms & onion
Preheat the oven to 350°F (186°C). Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to a food processor. Blitz until roughly broken down. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your food processor.
Step 2: Combine the ingredients
Stir together the mushroom mixture and the remaining meatloaf ingredients.
Step 3: Create the Ketchup Topping
In a separate bowl, stir together all of the Ketchup Topping ingredients.
Step 4: Assemble the meatloaf
Line a loaf pan (9×5 inch) with parchment paper. Spoon a mushroom meatloaf mixture into the pan, pressing to fill any gaps or empty corners. Spoon half of the Ketchup Topping onto the meatloaf, spreading it evenly over the whole top.
Step 5: Bake and add ketchup
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, spread the remaining ketchup over the meatloaf, and bake for another 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into slices and serving.
Extra Veggie Meatloaf Mixins
If you’re looking to add extra veggies to your meatloaf, green peppers are a great option! Be sure to chop them into small pieces (or blitz alongside the mushrooms and onion).
You can also add some cheese! I would recommend mozzarella. Bake it right into the meatloaf (include it in step 2!).
Feeling herby? You can also add a little bit of basil and/or oregano for extra flavor!
More Savory Entrées to Devour
Looking for some more meal ideas? These delicious options definitely don’t skimp out on the flavor. Between squash bowls, seitan, and avocado mango salad, there’s a flavor for every craving!
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- Watermelon Steak
- Seitan Burgers
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Avocado Mango Salad
- 1 lb button mushrooms 450 g
- ½ white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 12-oz package Impossible Ground Burger "Meat" 340 g
- 1 cup breadcrumbs 100 g
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worchestire sauce 15 mL
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs whisked
- ½ cup ketchup 100 g
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- Blitz: Preheat oven to 350°F (186°C). Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to a food processor. Blitz until roughly broken down (you may need to work in batches, depending on the size of your food processor).
- Mix: Stir together mushroom mixture and all remaining Meatloaf ingredients.
- Topping: In a separate bowl, stir together all Ketchup Topping ingredients.
- Assemble: Line a loaf pan (9×5 inch) with parchment paper. Spoon mushroom meatloaf mixture into the pan, pressing to fill any gaps or empty corners. Spoon half of the Ketchup Topping onto the meatloaf, spreading it evenly over the whole top.
- Bake: Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, spread the remaining ketchup over the meatloaf, then bake for another 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into slices and serving.