These Hugo Cocktails are a delightfully refreshing spritzer with fresh mint, lime, elderflower syrup, Prosecco, and sparkling water!
While on a ski trip to the Dolomites in Northern Italy one winter, I encountered a tasty cocktail called a Hugo. And I couldn’t get enough of it. Fortunately for me, Europeans were just as excited about this drink as I was and you could find it just about everywhere I travelled. Needless to say, that was the year of the Hugo.
Apparently the Hugo was first created in 2005 in Northern Italy, but quickly caught on with the Austrians and Germans. You can now find it premade in bottles or made fresh at bars in Europe.
But then I moved to America and it was so long Hugos. That is, until I learned just how easy this cocktail is to make! With just a few minutes of work, you’ll have a refreshing summery cocktail as good as the stuff on the Amalfi coast! Let’s do this.
Hugo Cocktail Ingredients
- Mint: Refreshing and cooling. Muddle the mint a bit to get the oils moving.
- Lime: A few slices of lime add zesty flavor that balances out the sweet syrup.
- Elderflower Syrup: Floral, sweet, and delicious! You can either make elderflower syrup yourself or buy it online.
- Prosecco: A dry sparkling white wine from the town of Prosecco in Northern Italy.
- Sparkling/Seltzer Water: You can use either, as they’re about the same thing. Seltzer was a German brand of sparkling water whose popularity transformed it into a generic trademark kind of like “Kleenex”. Club soda, however, is different. Don’t use club soda.
- Ice: Hugos are best served ice cold (bonus points if you use edible flower ice cubes!)
How to make the perfect hugo spritz
Step 1: Muddle the Mint
Briefly muddle the mint in your serving glasses, or rub between your palms. This will get the oils moving to impart all that tasty mint flavor into your hugos! Add the mint and a few slices of lime to each glass.
Step 2: Assemble
Add your elderflower syrup to each glass…
…and then your Prosecco…
…and finish with a splash of sparkling water!
Step 3: Serve
Briefly stir to combine then serve on ice. Enjoy!
For extra zhuzh, use edible flower ice cubes! Instant summer in a glass.
More summer cocktails you’ll love
- 1 sprig of mint
- ½ lime sliced
- 1 Tbsp elderflower syrup more if you like it sweet, 15 mL
- 1 cup Prosecco or white sparkling wine 236 mL
- 1 to 2 Tbsp sparkling water 15 to 30 mL
- ½ cup ice cubes
- Muddle: Briefly muddle the mint in your glass, or leaves between your palms to draw out the flavor, then place in glass. You can either remove the leaves from the stem or keep them on. Add lime slices.
- Assemble: Pour in elderflower syrup, Prosecco, and a splash of sparkling water.
- Serve: Stir to combine and serve immediately on ice.