This Goat Cheese Pizza recipe has mushrooms, creamy white sauce, and loads of cheese. Pizza Friday just stepped it up a notch!
I first created this goat cheese pizza years ago, back when Live Eat Learn was just a baby! And in making this pizza I inadvertently learned how to make a healthy white sauce.
You see, when I set out for the grocery store to buy the ingredients for this recipe, I was so excited to make homemade pizza. So excited, in fact, that my dementia got the best of me and I completely forgot to buy the red sauce.
But alas, it was a blessing in disguise! I fashioned a simple white sauce that goes better with this pizza than any old red sauce ever would! Besides, what’s a homemade pizza without homemade sauce?
How to make easy white sauce for pizza
So we’ll make the sauce first. Saute some garlic until it begins to golden and become fragrant. Mix together with thick and creamy plain Greek yogurt and a pinch of salt and pepper. White sauce = done. Lightly brush your dough with olive oil, then spread the white sauce over the dough (easy homemade dough here).
Lay on the cheese
Goat cheese can be a particularly strong flavor, so we’ll throw on a less intense cheese to balance things out, using none other than mozzarella of course. Sprinkle a healthy handful of shredded mozzarella over the white sauce.
Next up, the mushrooms
Next, sauté the mushrooms. Putting raw mushrooms on the pizza will lead to 1) undercooked mushrooms and 2) soggy pizza.
So throw your sliced mushrooms into a skillet in a single layer with a sprinkle of salt. The salt will help to draw water out of the mushrooms. Cook at medium/high heat for about 5 minutes. Throw in sliced red onion and cook until softened. Drain off the excess moisture, then top your pizza with the sautéed veggies.
Finish it off with a some dollops of soft goat cheese and bake in an ultra-hot oven! I usually top this baked pizza with fresh arugula, which of course I forgot to throw on for the photos. The world is an imperfect place (but it’s a little more perfect with this pizza in it).
More of our favorite homemade pizza recipes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil 15 mL
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese 100 g
- 2 oz goat cheese 60 g
- 2 cups arugula optional
- 1 12-inch pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- Prep: Preheat oven to 475°F (250°C) and set the empty pizza pan in the oven to get hot.
- White Sauce: Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft and fragrant. Mix garlic into Greek yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mushrooms: Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, then add mushrooms in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sliced red onions and continue cooking until both mushrooms and onion are semi-soft, about 3 more minutes.
- Assemble: Roll pizza dough out to about 12 inches wide (I like to do this directly on parchment paper for easy transfer to the hot pan later). Brush 1 Tbsp of oil onto dough, then spread on the white sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese, sauteed veggies, halved cherry tomatoes, then goat cheese. Transfer to your hot pizza pan.
- Bake: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then move to a higher rack and broil for 2 minutes until cheese is golden brown. Serve warm, optionally topped with fresh arugula.