Give your fellow campers a treat with this delicious Campfire Feta Bake. Made with only 3 main ingredients and prepped and ready to go in under 5 minutes!
Remember toward the middle of quarantine, when that feta pasta recipe went viral on Tiktok? You know the one! We even did a portobello and goat cheese variation back in March. Well, in true camping fashion, I decided to find a way to make that same dish campfire friendly!
Except this time, we’re skipping the mushrooms and goat cheese and creating a recipe that’s actually more similar to the Tiktok version! We nixed the pasta (since it doesn’t store as well) and added chickpeas to make it more of a meal.
The result is a complete and total camping treat! I mean, who eats this well without access to an oven?!
Ingredients in campfire tomato feta bake
Get ready to prep the easiest campfire recipe ever. You’ll need only 6 ingredients, 3 of which are seasonings!
- Cherry Tomatoes: Begin with 1 pint of cherry tomatoes.
- Chickpeas: Next, add a 14-oz can of chickpeas. Be sure to drain them first!
- Salt & Pepper: Add ¼ tsp of salt and pepper (each) for flavor.
- Feta: Next, you’ll need one 8 oz block of feta!
- Red Pepper Flakes: Finally, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes will add a dash of heat and flavor.
How to make a campfire feta bake
This dish tastes so luxe, but it’s surprisingly simple to make. Start by mixing the ingredients, and then put them in a dish around the feta. Cover, and cook when ready! Only 5 minutes of prep time required.
- Season the tomatoes and chickpeas: In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, drained chickpeas, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble the dish: Place the cube of feta in the center of a disposable 8×8 aluminum pan and sprinkle it with a pinch of crushed red pepper. Transfer the tomatoes and chickpeas into the pan so they surround the feta. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and store in a fridge or cooler until ready to cook (up to 3 days).
- Cook the dish: Cook over hot coals or elevated over a fire until the feta is soft and the tomatoes begin to burst. It should take about 30 minutes.
Note: Avoid putting the tray on direct flames (it will burn through the bottom of the pan). Instead, use hot coals or stones that have been in the fire and are hot.
Tomato feta bake tip
Want to add even more flavor? Throw in some basil leaves or use a balsamic glaze! You can also include extra veggies like green peppers or red onion, or add some garlic!
Camping Recipes You’ll love
Camping requires all of the snacks. Here are some easy ideas to take along!
- Homemade Hummus (try one of 8 options!)
- Campfire Veggies (eat the rainbow, even when you’re camping)
- Mama’s Famous Bean Salad (the perfect hiking fuel)
- Gouda Cheese Crisps with Carrots (the best snack)
- Campfire Mac and Cheese (for some next level camping food)
- Campfire Orange Rolls (breakfast of champions)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes 10 oz, 283 g
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas drained, 396 g
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 8-oz block feta cheese 226 g
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Season: In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, drained chickpeas, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble: Place the cube of feta in the center of a disposable aluminum pans (8 x 8 inch), sprinkling it with a pinch of crushed red pepper. Transfer tomatoes and chickpeas into the pan so they surround the feta. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and store in a fridge or cooler until ready to cook (up to 3 days).
- Cook: Cook over hot coals, or elevated over a fire, until feta is soft and tomatoes begin to burst, about 30 minutes.