Beet Carpaccio is a delicious and refreshing side dish or appetizer. Made with roasted beets, creamy whipped feta, and peppery arugula, this salad is nutritious and delicious!
Beets are an underrated vegetable. Yes, they often come in a can and are bright pink or red which can’t possibly be normal. But when roasted, the natural sweetness explodes and the beet really shines!
I decided to marry these delicious beets with this dish I saw an awful lot in Europe called carpaccio. Whenever I saw carpaccio, it smelled of garlic and looked refreshing and light – perfect for when you are eating all day long in Italy!
What is Carpaccio?
So what is carpaccio? Traditionally carpaccio is an Italian appetizer made of thin slices of raw beef or fish. So, not vegetarian by nature. But our vegetarian carpaccio utilizes beets which also have a meaty texture and can take on whatever flavors they are cooked or marinated in.
Ingredients for Beet Carpaccio
This carpaccio vegetarian dish is an Italian classic that follows all the rules of Italian cooking – simple recipes, simple preparation, and fresh ingredients.
- Beets: Beets are a great option to mimic beef because they have a hardy texture that can take on any flavor.
- Feta: This salty cheese not only pairs great with sweet beets but can be whipped into a fluffy creamy spread.
- Cream Cheese: This is what helps stabilize and mellow out the salty feta when whipping up the cheese spread.
- Arugula: Ok, I love using fresh arugula for this because it is peppery with hints of lemon that brightens up the whole dish.
- Dressing: This dressing is made up of all the best bits – olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Beet Buying Tip
To pick the perfect beets, look for them in the winter. The best ones will be smooth with undamaged roots and crispy green leaves. Look for smaller beets for a sweeter taste.
How to make Beet Carpaccio
Just 5 simple steps stand between you and this delicious beet carpaccio!
Step 1: Roast
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Wash the beets, then wrap them all in one big aluminum foil pouch. Roast for about 1 hour, until beets can be easily pierced with a fork. Roasting the beets will bring out their natural sweetness, while making them soft enough to slice the beets thinly!
Step 2: Whipped Feta
Add room-temperature feta and cream cheese to a food processor. Blitz until smooth and creamy. (You may want to make a double batch…this whipped feta is absolutely addictive and perfect as a dip on its own).
Step 3: Dressing
Whisk together all Dressing ingredients until evenly mixed. I like a chunkier dressing with the finely diced shallots providing some textural variation, but you could also throw the dressing in a blender to create a smooth and creamy lemon dressing.
Step 4: Cut Beets
Allow beets to cool slightly, then peel each. Using a mandolin slicer (or carefully with a chef’s knife), thinly slice each beet.
Step 5: Assemble
Spread whipped feta onto a serving platter. Top with arugula then sliced beets. Drizzle with dressing and serve!
Storage: This salad can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days in a sealed container. If making ahead of time, keep each component separate until you’re ready to serve, then assemble right before serving.
Freezing Beets: If you want to roast a few extra beets, you can freeze them! Slice them and freeze them in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container to have them ready to go for the next recipe!
More Beet-iful Recipes
Not to beet this into the ground (get it?), but here are a few more beet recipes you need to try!
- Roasted Beet and Radish Salad is a great way to use any extra beets you have.
- Butternut Beet and Ricotta Galette that is beautiful, bright, and a real show stopper!
- Red Velvet Smoothie Bowl may sound a little weird, but the sweetness of beets is perfect for this smoothie bowl.
- Beet Pesto Pizza with Goat Cheese and Kale is another show stopped that is filled with great winter vegetables.
- 6 to 8 red beets
- 8 oz feta cheese room temperature, 226 g
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature, 113 g
- 3 cups arugula
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper.
- Roast: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Wash the beets, then wrap them all in one big aluminum foil pouch. Roast for about 1 hour, until beets can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Whipped Feta: Add room temperature feta and cream cheese to a food processor. Blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Dressing: Whisk together all Dressing ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Cut Beets: Allow beets to cool slightly, then peel each. Using a mandolin slicer (or carefully with a chef's knife), thinly slice each beet.
- Assemble: Spread whipped feta onto a serving platter. Top with arugula, then sliced beets. Drizzle with dressing and serve.