Use up your avocados with this delicious, creamy, vegan Avocado Soup. With ingredients like lime juice, cilantro, and garlic, this dish is packed with delicious flavors (and topped with homemade croutons).
Avocado lovers, listen up! If you never met an avocado recipe you didn’t like, this soup is for you. Today we’re whipping up a lean, mean, green bowl of delicious avocado soup, complete with our homemade croutons and a bit of cilantro! It’s like avocado crema in meal form.
This creamy, vegan avocado soup packs in the flavor, blending the subtly sweet flavor of avocado with the tang of lime juice, the taste of garlic, and the bite of jalapeños! Mixed with a veggie broth, it’s light but dense, and very, very satisfying.
You’ll have 4 heaping servings when all is said and done. And to create it only requires 5 minutes of your time!
Ingredients in Chilled avocado soup
Avocado soup uses avocados (surprise!), cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and a few other flavorings, along with vegetable broth. I recommend serving with croutons for the perfect crunch!
- Avocados: First up, you will need 3 healthy avocados. Make sure they’re ripe (this recipe can even be made with frozen avocados).
- Cilantro: For the first flavor component, include ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped.
- Lime Juice: Next, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Garlic: Add flavor with 2 cloves of garlic.
- Jalapeño: Heat things up a bit with ¼ of a jalapeño. I recommend removing the seeds, but you can keep them if you like hot food.
- Vegetable Broth: Add the liquid component with 4 cups of chilled vegetable broth.
- Salt: Add salt to taste.
- To Serve: Serve with croutons, diced avocado, and cream or coconut milk!
How to make avocado gazpacho
The rumors are true — you can make this soup with your eyes closed! Just toss everything into a blender (except the salt), and mix!
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
Peel and deseed the avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the blender, adding just a pinch of salt (you can add more later, but the saltiness from your broth may be enough, depending on which broth you use).
Step 2: Blend until smooth
Blend the ingredients until you reach a smooth consistency. Taste and add salt and more lime juice as needed. Serve immediately, optionally topping with croutons, diced avocado, and a drizzle of cream (or coconut milk).
Avocado Soup Tips
Here are some pointers to make your creamy avo soup that much better.
- Serve chilled: This soup is best served chilled, but you can slowly heat it up on the stove if you prefer. Note that the color may become less vibrant.
- Storing: To store, pour into a large bowl and press plastic warp directly onto the top of the soup. Store in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- Extra flavor: For extra flavor try adding cayenne pepper, cumin, or even some onions.
How to choose the right avocados
Choosing the right avocados can be tricky, but there are a couple of ways to determine which are the best.
First, when will you be using them? If you want some good ol’ avocado soup today, you need avocados that are ripe and ready to go. If you’re planning on making this over the weekend, you’ll want avocados that aren’t perfectly ripe so they have a couple of days to soften.
The softer an avocado, the more ripe it is. And the magic eat-it-now softness tends to be just a little less than firm. You don’t want it to be too soft or squishy, as that indicates an overripe fruit.
Most avocados get a bit darker as they ripen. However, because this isn’t the case for all avocados, it’s best to go with the touch test (or level it up with the stem test).
More mouth watering soup ideas
Who doesn’t love a good bowl of soup? These recipes are sure to satisfy cravings, leave you feeling nice and full, and be a hit with the whole family.
- Easy Pumpkin Soup with Parmesan Popcorn Crunch
- Romesco Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Lentils
- Potato Leek Soup
- Acorn Squash Soup
- 3 avocados
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 to 4 Tbsp lime juice 30 to 60 mL
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ of a jalapeno seeds removed
- 4 cups vegetable broth chilled, 944 mL
- Salt to taste
- To serve: croutons, diced avocado, cream
- Prep: Peel and deseed the avocados, scooping the flesh into a blender. Add all remaining ingredients to blender, adding just a pinch of salt.
- Blend: Blend until smooth. Taste and add salt and more lime juice as needed. Serve immediately, optionally topping with croutons, diced avocado, and a drizzle of cream (or coconut milk).
Leave a Comment