Frozen asparagus in air fryer – this veggie isn’t always loved, but I guarantee that by crisping it up and adding cheese, everyone will love this recipe!
This is the best way to cook frozen asparagus. Hands down. No need to heat up the entire oven for some quick veggies. Let the air fryer do the work for you while you cook the main dish on the stove or grill and you’ll be all set for a delicious dinner.
I love throwing frozen vegetables in the air fryer. First of all, it’s easy. Second? Frozen veggies are amazing to have around – no worrying about them languishing in the crisper drawer to never see the light of day. Veggies are picked and frozen at their peak, meaning they have all the nutrition of fresh. Sometimes the texture can change from fresh to frozen, but air frying really brings them to life with awesome texture.
Here’s What You’ll Need
Have you wondered how to air fry frozen asparagus? It’s really simply and makes this veggie really delicious!
- Asparagus: Tender asparagus shoots are frozen at the peak of freshness.
- Oil: I love using olive oil in the air fryer, but avocado works well, too.
- S&P: Just a touch of salt and pepper makes asparagus the perfect pairing for any dish.
- Parmesan: Cheese just takes things up a notch, and parmesan pairs perfectly with asparagus!
Frozen asparagus will have already been washed and trimmed (woody ends snapped off) so there’s literally nothing you need to do to prep for cooking!
How to Cook Frozen Asparagus in The Air Fryer
Step 1: Stir
Add the asparagus, oil, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to combine well – get everything coated!
Step 2: Preheat
Let the air fryer preheat to 400 for 5 minutes or so. You want to make sure it’s good and hot before adding the asparagus to prevent the asparagus from getting soggy.
Step 3: Cook
Cook until crispy and brown to your liking. It’s best to be in a single layer, so you might need to halve the recipe or cook in batches if your machine is smaller.
Preheat: I often say preheating isn’t necessary when using an air fryer. However, with frozen veggies, it’s important! If you don’t preheat the machine you could have sad, soggy veggies because they will steam rather than crisp/roast.
Single Layer: For the best, most even cooking, keep the asparagus lined up in as close to a single layer as possible. This will ensure they brown to perfection.
Freezing Cold: Besides the above tips, don’t thaw before cooking. This will also keep things crispy because it will roast on the outside while the inside “thaws” and be perfect throughout.
Why this Recipe Works
- Air frying your frozen asparagus prevents it from becoming soggy while cooking (because who likes soggy asparagus?).
- Frozen asparagus is often more accessible and affordable (great way to save seasonal produce). Buy a bunch when it’s on sale and store it in the freezer for a quick side dish.
- Dairy free? Try using a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for flavoring. This recipe is so versatile because you can grab your favorite flavors for serving.
After trying out a bunch of different air fryers, this is my favorite!
How do I air fryer fresh asparagus?
You can air fry any veggie you like,! This is a great way to cook old favorites or try something new. To air fry fresh asparagus, cook at 375 for about 10 minutes.
Why do I still need oil?
While the air fryer does a great job circulating hot air for great texture, using a bit of oil when air frying will achieve maximum crispness. You can omit if you want, but it might not be quite so brown.
Speared and Ready
Any main dish will be glad to share the spotlight with these spears!
- Baked Ziti is a hearty pasta dish, so I love to add a roasted veggie on the side to kind of lighten things up.
- Seitan Steak is meaty and filling, and looks wonderful when paired with fresh bread and air fryer broccoli.
- 8 oz frozen asparagus spears 226 g
- 2 Tbsp oil 30 mL
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Optional: grated parmesan lemon juice/zest
- Stir: In a large bowl toss together asparagus, oil, salt, and pepper to evenly coat each spear.
- Preheat: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (204°C) for 5 minutes.*
- Cook: Transfer asparagus to the air fryer in as single of a layer as possible. Cook, shaking the pan once during cooking, until slightly crispy and browned, about 10 to 13 minutes.