Fill up on nutritious veggies with Zucchini Stew. It’s a powerhouse meal complete with beans, basil, and kale! Only 15 minutes of prep time required.
If you’ve been around lately, you know that good ol’ zucchini has been the star of the show as of late. For good reason, too! You can use it so many different ways. Zucchini crostini, anyone? In proper Live Eat Learn fashion, I knew we couldn’t finish off the series without a stew, because everyone needs a good, hearty stew once in a while.
But let’s be clear — this courgette stew isn’t just any stew. Thanks to garlic, marinara sauce, and navy beans, it’s filled with so many unsuspecting flavors. It’s one of my all time favorite zucchini stew recipes! Oh, and if you’re wondering what on earth a courgette is, it’s just another name for zucchini! The more you know.
Ingredients in zucchini stew
We’re kicking off this zucchini goulash with some olive oil sautéed veggies, followed by a tasty marinara (your favorite brand or type will be perfect!), plus some beans, kale, and basil. The whole shebang uses only 10 ingredients including salt and pepper!
- Olive Oil: First up we have 1 tbsp of olive oil. This will be used to cook the onion, garlic, and zucchini.
- Onion: You’ll need half of a medium-sized onion, either white or yellow. Dice it up into small pieces.
- Garlic: Add great flavor with 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Zucchini: Next, include 3 cups of chopped zucchini. That will amount to about 2 medium zucchini. Feel free to sub in one yellow squash for added color! They all have about the same health benefits and flavor. (This recipe is also great using frozen zucchini!)
- Marinara Sauce: Add saucy goodness with 2 cups of marinara sauce. Feeling adventurous? Make your own marinara sauce!
- Navy Beans: 1 can of navy beans will add extra oomph and protein.
- Kale: Sneak in some greens with 1 cup of chopped kale.
- Basil: Fresh basil will contribute to the taste. Chop it up before adding.
- Salt & Pepper: Finally, add salt and pepper to taste!
How to make courgette stew
One of the best things about this zucchini goulash is that it’s a one pan show. Only one dirty dish? I’ll take it. We’ll start by sautéing the veggies, and then we’ll mix in the other ingredients and add the kale. It couldn’t be simpler!
Step 1: Create the flavor base
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and zucchini to the pan and cook until the onion and zucchini are a bit soft. It should take about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Stewify the dish
Stir in the marinara sauce nad beans. Continue cooking while covered for 5 minutes until the marinara sauce is hot and gently simmering.
Step 3: Add the greens
Stir in the chopped kale and basil. Cook until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes.
Step 4: Season and serve
Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve warm.
Zucchini Stew Variations
When it comes to making this dish your own, you have a lot of options! Essentially any combination of veggies can be used, so choose your favorites and have at it. Additional options include chopped potatoes (red, russet, or gold), celery, carrots, and bell peppers.
I like to make this my own by using one zucchini and one yellow squash for a bit of color variation.
And when it comes to leftovers, keep extra stew stored in the fridge and enjoy within 2-3 days. It actually makes a great meal prep option because it tastes even better when the ingredients have had time to all blend together!
More zucchini meals to try
Zucchini is so under appreciated when it comes to the many ways you can use it! It can be transformed into different dishes like crisps, cheddar bites, or even noodles. Below are some of my favorite zucchini recipes!
- Zucchini Crisp
- Zucchini Cheddar Bites
- Veggie Pizza (with Zucchini!)
- Zucchini Noodles Vegetarian Meal Prep
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- ½ medium white or yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chopped zucchini about 2 medium zucchini*
- 2 cups marinara sauce 450 g
- 1 15-oz can navy beans 425 g
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flavor Base: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and zucchini to the pan, cooking until onion and zucchini are a bit soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stewify: Stir in marinara sauce and beans. Continue cooking, covered, for 5 minutes until marinara sauce is hot and gently simmering.
- Greens: Stir in chopped kale and basil. Cook until kale wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Serve: Season with salt and pepper, as needed, then serve warm!