These Baked Zucchini Fries are a deliciously healthy alternative to your usual fries! They have a crispy panko and parmesan breading and become even more addictive with a yogurt and gorgonzola dipping sauce.
Last weekend we went to Barcelona. More specifically, I surprised the tulip-man with a food-fueled trip to Barcelona to celebrate his 30th birthday!
We’re alike in that we both love food, but different in that he likes fancy food. Which I used to just not understand. Like, what do you mean I only get one bite of your fancy food? Where’s the rest?
Buuut perhaps as result of living with him for a few years (or becoming a grown up) I’ve learned to appreciate it, so we spent the weekend eating at Barcelona’s fanciest food eateries.
We had molecular gastronomy olives that popped in your mouth, a smoked eggplant that had the consistency of butter, and dined in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant as they cooked in front of us. Also I got to wear a fancy dress and get tipsy on Michelin star wine. Safe to say we were both happy.
Obviously I came back from the weekend full of ideas and recipes that I had no idea how to recreate. But I noticed in all the restaurants we went to that they played with textures in food.
And while these Baked Zucchini Fries are definitely not on the tulip-man’s side of the fanciness spectrum, they transform basic zucchini into crispy, crunchy, flavorful fries (in the oven!)
Another thing I learned? Sauces matter, folks. Which is why today we’re pairing our crispy zucchini fries with a creamy, subtle gorgonzola dipping sauce. Just throw all the sauce ingredients in a food processor while your fries bake.
How to make these zucchini fries in the air fryer
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 50 g
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese 30 g
- ½ tsp each salt and smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs whisked
- ½ cup flour 60 g
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese 50 g
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise 60 g
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives 5g
- Prep: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, then slice into roughly ½ inch wide by 4 inch long fries (no need to peel them). Combine panko, parmesan, salt, paprika, and pepper in a medium bowl. Place whisked eggs in a separate medium bowl, and the flour in a third medium bowl.
- Bread: Working in small batches, dip zucchini pieces into the flour, then the egg, then the panko. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. When all zucchini are breaded, bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Sauce and Serve: Meanwhile, add yogurt, gorgonzola, mayonnaise, and chives to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with ground black pepper. Serve zucchini fries warm with dipping sauce.
Tips & Tricks
I first published this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’,