Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Gyros
These vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Gyros are seasoned with Mediterranean spices, sauteed to meaty perfection, and drizzled with creamy tzatziki.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Portobello Gyro Filling
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp each oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- 4 large pita breads
- ½ cup feta tzatziki sauce cut tzatziki recipe in half if making it just for these gyros
- Extras: tomato, red onion, radishes, lettuce, feta
Prep: Prepare feta tzatziki sauce (or traditional tzatziki). Slice all veggies.
Portobello gyro filling: Remove mushroom stems and clean caps with a wet paper towel. Cut into 1/4 inch slices. In a small bowl, stir together oil, soy, lemon, garlic, and spices. Toss to coat the mushrooms. Cook mushrooms in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, flipping to evenly cook. They should be slightly softened and deep brown when finished.
Assemble: Spread tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then add mushroom gyro filling, veggies. and feta. Fold in half and dig in!
- Vegan: Make this recipe vegan by subbing the tzatziki for this vegan version.
- Cracked pitas? If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble gyros immediately after microwaving.
Serving: 1gyro (not including veggie toppings) | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 40.6g | Protein: 9.3g | Fat: 21.5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 1366mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 3.1g | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2.3mg