Special Day Cinnamon Rolls
These decadent buttermilk cinnamon rolls are glazed with a rich, creamy mascarpone icing, making them the perfect breakfast for special days like Christmas and birthdays!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 2 1/2-3 cups all-purpose flour 320 to 384 g
- 2 Tbsp sugar 25 g
- 1/2 tsp salt 3 g
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder 6 g
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 g
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk 295 mL
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter 85 g, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar 150 g
- 1/4 cup sugar 50 g
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon 10 g
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1 g
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter 28 g, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar 128 g
- 2 Tbsp mascarpone cheese 28 g
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk 30 mL
Dough: Whisk together 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir buttermilk and melted butter into dry mix, then transfer to a well-floured surface and knead a few times, until blended. If dough sticks easily to hands, add a touch more flour. Roll dough into a 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
Roll: Combine filling ingredients and sprinkle evenly over dough, leaving 1 inch on one of the long sides free. Starting at the long side opposite to the free border, roll the dough tightly, gently pinching to seal. Use floss or a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 even segments.
Bake: Place rolls in a parchment paper-lined or well-greased baking sheet, leaving some wiggle room between rolls (they'll grow!)* Bake at 425 degrees F (218 C) for 20 to 25 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
Serve: Combine all icing ingredients and drizzle over warm rolls.
- *At this point you can cover and leave these in the fridge overnight for baking in the morning!
- Adapted from Bon Appétit Magazine
Serving: 1roll | Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 70.4g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12.8g | Sodium: 362mg | Fiber: 1.4g