Tempeh Vegetarian Chili
This vegetarian chili will warm your bones with delicious plant-based protein this winter (and in under 30 minutes!)
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 8-oz package tempeh 226 g, roughly grated
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce 177 mL
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans 425 g, drained
- 1 15-oz can black beans 425 g, drained
- 1 cup water 240 mL
- 1 tsp each cumin and salt
- 1/4 tsp each chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes
- To serve: chopped green onions, plain Greek yogurt
Brown Tempeh: Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large pot. Add tempeh and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. It's okay if some of it sticks to the bottom of the pan. It will come off when you add the liquids.
Add Flavor Makers: Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, continuing to cook until veggies are a bit soft, about 5 minutes.
Cook Everything: Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium, and cook until warm and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Top with green onions and serve.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 1900mg | Fiber: 17g