Lemon Ginger Kombucha
This Lemon Ginger Kombucha recipe is a classic citrusy flavor, perfect for your homemade kombucha!
There’s a magical tonic the tulip-man blends up anytime one of us so much as sneezes. It involves blending lemon and ginger and good quality honey, which he then uses as a syrup for adding instant healthy flavor to water.
So naturally I had to make a kombucha version of it. Because lemon + ginger + kombucha are a match made in heaven. The result is a slightly tart, slightly sweet, seriously refreshing kombucha! Let’s brew.
(Pro tip: use this Lemon Kombucha to make a Kombucha Radler beer cocktail!)
There are two main fermentation phases when making homemade kombucha:
- First Fermentation: This is when you transform sweet tea into tart and delicious kombucha (see our comprehensive guide to homemade kombucha here)
- Second Fermentation: This is when you carbonate the kombucha by adding flavor and sugars and bottling it (this is what we’re doing today with this Lemon Ginger Kombucha!)
In order to make this citrusy kombucha, you will need to have finished the first fermentation already and have some kombucha that’s ready to be carbonated! This video shows you how to get to that point.
Ingredients for Lemon Ginger Kombucha
- Kombucha: You’ve brewed your kombucha in the first fermentation with the help of your SCOBY and it’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart (step-by-step first fermentation instructions here).
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice is packed with flavor and antioxidants, and gives this kombucha a delightfully tart taste.
- Ginger: We’ll chop it finely (or grate it) to infuse the kombucha with ginger flavor.
- Honey: A dash of honey will provide the sugars needed to carbonate the kombucha. For a vegan option, substitute the honey for white sugar.
For a fun twist, you can also try adding pepper to your kombucha (like the tulip-man did with this Ginger Pepper Kombucha).
How to Make Lemon Ginger Kombucha
Making your own Lemon Ginger Kombucha is super easy. The process goes something like this:
- Prep: Juice the lemons and finely chop or grate the ginger.
- Bottle: Add kombucha, lemon juice, ginger, and honey to fermentation bottles.
- Ferment: For 3 to 10 days, until it reaches the carbonation level you like.
- Enjoy: Chill in the fridge before serving.
Lemon Ginger Kombucha
- ½ gallon kombucha from a first fermentation this is not store bought kombucha, 1.9 L
- 2 lemons ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 thumb fresh ginger 1 Tbsp chopped or grated
- 2 tsp honey sub white sugar for vegan option
- Prep: Juice the lemons (you need ¼ cup of juice). Finely chop or grate the ginger (you need 1 Tbsp).
- Bottle: Transfer kombucha into fermentation bottles*, leaving about 2 inches empty at the top. Equally distribute lemon juice, ginger, and honey into bottles. Seal tightly.
- Ferment: Place in a dark, room temperature area for 3 to 10 days, until it reaches the carbonation level you like. This process will go faster in warmer climates, and slower in cooler climates.
- Enjoy: Chill in the fridge before serving. Can be stored in the fridge, tightly sealed, for several weeks.