This Chicken Mango Stir Fry is a simple and absolutely delicious dish that incorporates in loads of fresh fruit and exotic flavors.
Note: this is an older recipe before the recipes on Live Eat Learn became predominantly plant-based. Make this recipe vegan by cooking soy curls in place of the chicken!
As I passed the international aisle in the grocery, I was struck by a jar of Indian-looking tastiness I’d never seen before, mango chutney. I’d never even heard of this stuff, so I bought it. Well apparently I’ve been living under a rock, because it’s pretty popular…and also very easy to make (according to the boyfriend/master chef). I still used the chutney I bought so I could understand the flavor (and because I’m stubborn), but I’ll be trying my hand at a homemade version in the coming days! (Edit: I made it. It is delicious. And easy. And did I say delicious? Here it is.)
Anywho, mango chutney is the core of this dish, and it works miracles. Stir fry was a staple in my vegetarian/college years, but I never really branched out. I stuck with the basics. But adding in a thick sauce like mango chutney completely transforms this into something I thought I could only enjoy at a restaurant. It tastes like Chinese takeout…but like the good kind of Chinese takeout.
I also used this recipe as a time to experiment with another condiment I’ve never tried that has recently exploded in popularity to what resembles a cult following…sriracha sauce (or rooster sauce). I now understand the massive sriracha movement. This stuff is bangin’. You can expect to see it more in coming posts.
And then there’s the actual mango pieces laced throughout the whole dish, creating little sweetness bombs amongst the otherwise savory/spicy dish. It’s just perfection.
- 1.5 lbs skinless chicken breast about 4 pieces
- 1 Tbsp flavorless oil like canola
- 2 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp shredded fresh ginger
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jar mango chutney 8 oz, or 1 cup of your own homemade Mango Chutney
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes just a pinch!
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 mango peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 cups rice
- Cut chicken into strips or bite-sized pieces, then combine with oil, sriracha, white vinegar, and ginger. Place in a ziploc baggie or airtight container and set in refrigerator for 2 hours (longer is okay).
- Begin cooking rice (according to instructions on package) to ensure it is done in time.
- Cook chicken in a wok or frying pan over medium heat until almost fully cooked (about 5 minutes), then add red bell pepper and continue cooking until peppers are soft (3 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients (except the mango) and stir well. Simmer about 3 more minutes, until sauce begins to bubble.
- Stir in diced mango and remove from heat.
- Scoop a mound of rice into each serving dish and top with stir fry.
Tips & Tricks
Easily make this dish vegan by swapping the chicken for firm tofu. Marinade and cook as you would the chicken.
Not feeling stir fry? The marinaded chicken is also good on its own! Just grill it and put it over a salad, on a sandwich, or eat it plain.
Leave a Comment