Bloody Avo Mary
Bloody Mary cocktails and I go way back. Okay maybe not way back, but back nonetheless, to 2 years ago. My most dearest friend, Tiny, and I were roadtripping through the deep south in celebration of my college graduation. From our starting point in Pittsburgh we hit Nashville then carried on to Baton Rouge, where we experienced what Tiny dubbed the best day of our lives. And that day started with Bloody Marys.
We’d spent the previous night singing our lungs out at a country music megaconcert involving Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, and Hunter Hayes (yea it was as amazing as it sounds), but our CouchSurfing host was an early riser, so he coaxed us back to life with some homemade, 7am Bloody Marys. The rest of the day was spent pontooning around the bayou, drinking more Bloody Marys, and making our way to New Orleans for a night of bead throwing on Bourbon Street.
In New Orleans they throw anything and everything in a Bloody Mary, including bacon. So we’re putting our own little spin on my most favorite cocktail too by throwing in some creamy, ripe avocado! The rest is super simple: vodka, tomato juice, tabasco, Worschererershiestire (honestly, who can ever spell that right the first time?), lemon, and seasoning. Say hello to the Bloody Avo Mary Cocktail!
Bloody Avo Mary
- ¼ cup Absolut vodka
- ½ cup tomato juice
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce plant-based alternative if you’re strictly vegetarian
- Pinch each of salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- ½ avocado
- Garnish with celery avocado, fresh herbs
- Add all ingredients except avocado and garnishes to a shaker and shake a few times.
- With the skin side down, cut the avocado half into 2 pieces and gently peel off the skin. Cut one of the pieces into cubes, and cut the other into wedges.
- Pour cocktail into 2 glasses. Top with ice and cubed avocados. Garnish with celery, fresh herbs, and avocado wedges.
Inspired by Jamie Oliver’s classic Bloody Mary.
Helpful products for this Bloody Mary
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making these recipes possible! Click here for more refreshing spring cocktails, and thanks to Absolut for sponsoring this post!
Hi, I’m Sarah! We’re working our way through the easy vegetarian kitchen, one ingredient at a time. Learn more and follow along!
Join the Eatmail for exclusive recipes, meal ideas PLUS our FREE green smoothies eBook!