These Baked Zucchini Fries are a deliciously healthy alternative to your usual fries! They have a crispy panko and parmesan breading and become even more addictive with a yogurt and gorgonzola dipping sauce.
Last weekend we went to Barcelona. More specifically, I surprised the tulip-man with a food-fueled trip to Barcelona to celebrate his 30th birthday!
We’re alike in that we both love food, but different in that he likes fancy food. Which I used to just not understand. Like, what do you mean I only get one bite of your fancy food? Where’s the rest?
Buuut perhaps as result of living with him for a few years (or becoming a grown up) I’ve learned to appreciate it, so we spent the weekend eating at Barcelona’s fanciest food eateries.
We had molecular gastronomy olives that popped in your mouth, a smoked eggplant that had the consistency of butter, and dined in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant as they cooked in front of us. Also I got to wear a fancy dress and get tipsy on Michelin star wine. Safe to say we were both happy.
Obviously I came back from the weekend full of ideas and recipes that I had no idea how to recreate. But I noticed in all the restaurants we went to that they played with textures in food.
And while these Baked Zucchini Fries are definitely not on the tulip-man’s side of the fanciness spectrum, they transform basic zucchini into crispy, crunchy, flavorful fries (in the oven!)
Another thing I learned? Sauces matter, folks. Which is why today we’re pairing our crispy zucchini fries with a creamy, subtle gorgonzola dipping sauce. Just throw all the sauce ingredients in a food processor while your fries bake.
How to make these zucchini fries in the air fryer
We love air frying around here, and these zucchini fries are great in the air fryer! To make these in your air fryer, cook in a single layer at 375°F (190°C) for 8 to 12 minutes.
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 50 g
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese 30 g
- ½ tsp each salt and smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs whisked
- ½ cup flour 60 g
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese 50 g
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise 60 g
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives 5g
- Prep: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, then slice into roughly ½ inch wide by 4 inch long fries (no need to peel them). Combine panko, parmesan, salt, paprika, and pepper in a medium bowl. Place whisked eggs in a separate medium bowl, and the flour in a third medium bowl.
- Bread: Working in small batches, dip zucchini pieces into the flour, then the egg, then the panko. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. When all zucchini are breaded, bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Sauce and Serve: Meanwhile, add yogurt, gorgonzola, mayonnaise, and chives to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with ground black pepper. Serve zucchini fries warm with dipping sauce.
Tips & Tricks
I first published this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’,
Leave a Comment