Zucchini noodles are cool and all, but have you tried asparagus noodles? Like bright green fettuccine, this asparagus pasta makes a delicious low carb dinner!
Asparagus season is *kind of* a big deal over here in Europe. Who knows, maybe it’s a big deal everywhere, but I didn’t really get into food until I moved here and then you start noticing things like asparagus season (does this make me a real adult now?)
I digress…asparagus. We love it, we cherish it, and it’s finally in season! So today we’re cooking up a big bowl of it in the form of this healthy asparagus pasta recipe!
Unlike most vegetable noodle recipes which require spiralizers, this asparagus pasta is made with just a vegetable peeler and a bunch of asparagus! You’ll essentially just shave your asparagus lengthwise to create long fettuccine-like noodles. Saute oh-so briefly to tenderize the noodles slightly, then stir in your favorite pasta add-ins!
“Love asparagus and thought This recipe sounded interesting. It was a bit tricky at first to shave the asparagus not my finger but I soon got the hang of it! The taste was delicious and my husband loved it too. It’s going to be a regular in our house.” —Jane
asparagus noodle Ingredients
- Asparagus: Aim for the largest asparagus you can find, which will make for longer noodles that are easier to peel.
- Pesto: Make your own classic pesto or make pesto out of carrot tops and spinach!
- Extras: I love to sprinkle in some crumbled feta and pine nuts, but you could add whatever you’re feeling.
How To Make Asparagus Noodles
Step 1: Shave
Clean and dry asparagus to remove any dirt. Break off or trim the bottom inch of each spear (this part is super chewy, we don’t want that). Use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into long strips, moving from the tip to the bottom. This can take a few tries to get right, but you’ll get there!
Step 2: Saute
No boiling here! We’ll just cook the asparagus noodles very briefly in a pan. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium/high heat, then add asparagus. Cook, tossing frequently, until asparagus noodles are bright green and slightly tender, just 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 3: Serve
Stir in pesto and feta, topping with pine nuts, salt, and pepper (these are more of suggestions – you can add any sauce of topping you want really!)
Variations on asparagus pasta
I love the pesto/feta version of this asparagus pasta, but it would also be great with:
- Romesco Sauce (and roasted cherry tomatoes)
- Vegan Yum Sauce (and roasted chickpeas)
- Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce (and a fried egg)
- 1 lb asparagus 450 g
- 1 tsp olive oil 5 mL
- ¼ cup pesto 60 g
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese 30 g
- Garnish with pine nuts, coarse sea salt, black pepper
- Shave: Clean and dry asparagus. Break off the tough bottom inch of each spear. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into long strips, moving from the tip to the bottom.
- Saute: Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium/high heat, then add asparagus. Cook, tossing frequently, until asparagus noodles are bright green and slightly tender, just 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve: Stir in pesto and feta, topping with pine nuts, salt, and pepper.