This Air Fryer Kale Chips recipe churns out a batch of deliciously crispy kale chips in just 10 minutes. Season simply with salt or one of our tasty seasoning combinations!
In today’s edition of “Things you can make in your air fryer”…KALE CHIPS! While I’m a huge fan of Oven Baked Kale Chips, making them in the air fryer is not only faster but it saves on electricity.
Plus, if you’re not using your air fryer to make delectable little snacks like this, then why do you have it at all?
I used a Philips Air Fryer (affiliate link) to make these kale chips and absolutely love it, though any air fryer should do the job! (Curious about which air fryer is right for you? We rounded up the best air fryers here.)
Ingredients for these air fryer kale chips
- Kale: You can use any kind of kale for these kale chips.
- Oil: You don’t need much oil, just enough to lightly coat the leaves. To make kale chips with less oil, spray the leaves with cooking spray rather than using the full amount of oil.
- Salt: As with any good chip, these kale chips require a healthy pinch of salt.
- Optional seasonings: Add some flavor to your chips using any of these seasonings (Ranch and Dorito are my favorites!)
How to prep kale for chips
Start by washing the kale and drying it well with paper towels or a clean cloth. Cut the leaves from the spine; the spine is bitter and you just don’t need that in your life. Then roughly tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
How to air fry kale chips
Massage the oil into the leaves, making sure each piece of kale has a thin coat of oil. Sprinkle on some salt then toss everything into your air fryer basket. Spread the leaves into a single layer (you may need to cook in batches).
Pro-tip: If you notice that your kale chips are flying around in the air fryer, cover them with another air fryer rack. This will keep them in place while allowing air to flow around them.
Air fry the kale chips at 375 degrees F (190 C) for 4 to 5 minutes, keeping a close eye on them after 3 minutes. Be sure to shake the pan halfway through cooking. They’re done when crispy!
Seasonings for kale chips
You can easily season kale chips with your favorite herbs or spices after cooking. I love sprinkling on nutritional yeast and coarse sea salt. For 7 more tasty flavoring ideas, check out these seasonings (originally for popcorn, but they also work well for kale chips).
FAVORITE AIR FRYER
After trying out a bunch of different air fryers, this is my favorite!
- 1 bunch kale about 5 cups, 8-10 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- ¼ tsp salt
- Optional flavorings see notes
- Prep: Wash and dry kale. Cut the leaves away from the spine, then roughly tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Massage oil into the leaves, making sure each piece of kale has a thin coat of oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Transfer: Lay kale in a single layer in your air fryer basket, uncurling the leaves as much as possible while keeping them from overlapping too much (you may need to cook in batches).
- Cook: Air fry for 4 to 5 minutes at 375°F (190°C), shaking the pan once to help them cook evenly. Keep a close eye on them after 3 minutes. They’re done when crispy!
Tips & Tricks
- Optional flavorings: Sprinkle on after air frying. Find a full list of my favorite seasonings here.
- Store kale chips in a paper bag, or in a loosely sealed plastic bag lined with a paper towel. They keep well at room temperature for up to a week. If they lose their crunch, throw them back in the air fryer for a minute or two.
Which air fryer is best?
Not sure which air fryer is best? Here are a few of our favorites (complete list of best air fryers here).
Best Basket Air Fryer
Best Selling Air Fryer
COSORI Air Fryer
Best Color Selection
GoWISE Air Fryer
Best Air Fryer Oven Combo
Breville Convection and Air Fry Smart Oven
More Air Fryer Recipes
Here are a few more air fryer recipes you'll love (find all of our vegetarian air fryer recipes here).
Buttermilk Fried Mushrooms
With air fried oyster mushrooms and a crunchy coating, this tastes just like fried chicken!
Air Fryer Pizza
Perfectly crispy, easy to make, personal pan pizzas that are about to revolutionize pizza night.
How to Cook Air Fryer Potatoes
How to make baked potatoes, homemade French fries, and potato chips in your air fryer, using both white potatoes and sweet potatoes.
How to Air Fry Any Vegetable
How to air fry virtually any vegetable into perfectly cooked, healthy deliciousness.
All the flavor and crispiness of bacon and packs it into thinly sliced eggplant!
Crispy Air Fried Tofu
No cornstarch needed to make this deliciously crispy tofu recipe!
Leave a Comment