Vegan Tempeh Chili
This Vegan Tempeh Chili will warm your bones with delicious plant-based protein this winter (and in under 30 minutes!) With fresh veggies, beans, and a blend of spices, this is a simple chili that you would never believe is meatless.
Have you ever had one of those foods that was never in your “culinary vocabulary”, so to speak, and then one day you discover it and your whole world changes? Like I remember back when I only knew ginger in the context of gingerbread. Then one day I learned about the so-good, hands-down magical ability of ginger to transform stir fries, and proceeded to cook ginger into every thing I ate until a golden ginger aura formed around me.
Well that same thing just happened with tempeh. Like just happened, guys. On our first go-through of the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset, the tulip-man got pretty sick of tofu. Granted, he went from 0 to 100 t.m.p.h (tofu miles per hour) faster than you can say “Day 1 of the 21 Day Reset”, but I must admit, the original plan had a lot of tofu.
So I changed it up a bit. I set out on a great exploration in search of plant-based proteins, and I found the answer in tempeh! Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans. But these soybeans are whole (meaning tempeh is higher in protein, fiber, and nutrients) and fermented (giving it a really earthy, wholesome flavor). And if you grate it up and cook it up with beans, fresh veggies, and spices, you get a damn good, can’t-believe-it’s-vegan tempeh chili!
Vegan Tempeh Chili
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 8- oz package tempeh 226 g, roughly
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce 177 mL
- 1 15- oz can kidney beans 425 g, drained
- 1 15- oz can pinto beans 425 g, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- To serve: 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large pot. Add tem- peh and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, continuing to cook until veggies are a bit soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium,
- and cook until warm and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- Top with green onions and serve.
NotesInspired by Food 52.
This recipe is included in my 21 Day Vegetarian Reset, a nutrition program aimed at helping you to reset your habits and take control of your health. Learn more and get a free 1 Day Taste Test here.