Shakshuka with Tofu “Feta”
This 1-dish shakshuka recipe is a traditional North African meal that’s incredibly easy to make, packed with flavor, and topped with tofu “feta” for extra yum!
You know how I mentioned that during our trial run of the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset my disdain for tomatoes transformed into some serious tomato cravings? Well this shakshuka recipe was a remedy (and a seriously tasty one at that). Because is there anything better than a 1-dish, 30 minute dinner that consists largely of runny eggs, flavorful tomato/veggie sauce, and a healthy heap of warm pita bread for dipping? Nope, no there’s not.
Shakshuka with Tofu "Feta"
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 14.5- oz cans diced tomatoes 411g
- 2 tbsp tomato paste 30 mL
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Tofu Feta (or sub normal feta cheese)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup water 60 mL
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Drain tofu and slice into small blocks blocks. Pat dry with paper towels and place blocks in a deep dish (like a tupperware container).To the tofu add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until shakshuka is ready, draining before serving.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then add onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until soft, then add bell pepper and continue cooking 5 minutes, until pepper is tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Crack eggs onto the tomato mixture, cover, and allow to simmer 10 to 15 more minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Prepare baked potato side dish by rubbing each potato with oil, sprinkling with salt and pepper, then pricking with the tines of a fork. Microwave for 5 minutes, flip over, and continue for 5 more minutes, or until soft.
- Garnish with crumbled tofu “feta” and chopped parsley.
This recipe is included in my 21 Day Vegetarian Reset, a nutrition program aimed at helping you to reset your habits and take control of your health. Learn more and get a free 1 Day Taste Test here.