Happy Halloween, friends! I celebrated this weekend with a visit to a haunted castle, a Harry Potter movie marathon, and by introducing the Dutch to candy corn. So even though I didn’t dress up **sigh**, I still think it was a productive Halloweekend.
But I’m making up for my lack of costume by dressing up cauliflower and chickpeas as a delicious street taco, because taco Tuesday deserves a comeback, and the amount of takeout dinners the tulip-man and I eat is proportional to the number of hours I’m on a train each day (rapidly increasing), and everyone knows tacos are a minimal effort, maximum tastiness weeknight kinda dinner. So let’s taco.
The tulip-man likes to poke fun at my obsession with chickpeas. “Chickpeas? Again??” he’ll ask as he hovers over my latest creation. But since my discovery of the Chickpea Gyro, which took Pinterest (and my weekly dinner line-up) by storm, it’s been true chickpea love. So today, we’re incorporating them into these Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos, making these tacos ultra-filling and extra-delicious.
- ¼ of a large red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups, 220g)
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp honey (or sugar for vegan alternative)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ of a large cauliflower, chopped (2½ cups, 312 g)
- 1 15-oz can (425g) chickpeas, strained and patted slightly dry
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) good olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 medium tortillas (or GF alternative)
- Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a non-metal bowl and set aside. Stir every once in a while.
- Gently combine all of the Cauli-Filling ingredients. Lay onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F (204 C) for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and crisp.
- While filling bakes, combine all Sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- To serve, spoon Cauli-Filling evenly onto 8 tortillas. Top with a heaping spoonful of slaw and avocado sauce. Serve immediately or store fillings separately until ready to eat.