We’ve all heard of overnight oats, right? Throw some oats in a jar, add a bit of milk and fruit, boom breakfast. And even though something as simple as this doesn’t necessarily need a formula, the type A in me created a formula a while back.
But this was before I discovered the mind-blowing, party-for-your-tastebuds combination of coffee and oats. The deep, rich flavor of coffee combined with creamy, nutty oats leaves nothing to be desired, and has the power to get you from zero to fully-functioning-adult in no time.
So when Gourmesso sent me some of their coffee and espresso capsules to try out, I knew just what to do with them. That is, of course, after brewing up a few cups to drink. The capsules work with Nespresso machines, but cost 30% less than Nespresso brand capsules. They come in 25 varieties, many are fair trade, and most importantly, they get you deliciously caffeinated in under a minute.
In this spirit of efficiency, this overnight oats recipe is really the perfect morning all rolled up into a jar: whole grain oats, chia seed protein, banana for fruit, and coffee!
- ½ cup (60 g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (26 g) chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan diets)
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup (118 mL) brewed Gourmesso coffee (1 capsule brewed on “small cup” setting)
- Place oats, chia seeds, cocoa powder, honey, and banana into a serving jar or bowl.
- Pour coffee in and seal (either with a lid or plastic wrap). For best results, shake or stir it all up before refrigerating.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight (6 to 8 hours).
- Serve cold, optionally topped with Greek yogurt, fruit, or cocoa powder.