Inside-Out Granola Bars
The combination of the tulip-man starting his own company and my 5 hours train ride to and from school each day has quickly turned our schedule from laissez faire into utter chaos. Okay, maybe I’m the only one running around like a headless chicken in the morning, but food is important and I tend to spend 99% of those chaotic minutes each morning preparing our food for the day.
Breakfast > fixing crazy morning hair.
But I’m finding ways of making mornings less chaotic. Overnight oats and smoothies play leading roles. But with it being our almond spotlight and all, I thought I’d branch into the energizing world of granola bars. So today we’re serving up Inside Out Granola Bars, a healthy homemade granola bar with all the basics on bottom, dipped in chocolate, and topped with yums!
Have you ever made granola bars? They’re seriously so much fun to make. I always get this really great sense of fulfillment when I make them. Like “I definitely could have bought these at the store, but these are healthier AND more filling AND more delicious.” And I’ve played around some with throwing in off the wall ingredients, like these bulgur granola bars, but today I just wanted to master granola bars. Simple, delicious, boost to your morning healthy homemade granola bars.
Inside Out Granola Bars
- 2 cups rolled oats 160 g
- 1 ½ cups rice krispies 50 g
- ½ cup chopped almonds 65 g
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup almond butter 130 g
- ½ cup honey 118 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 large bar dark chocolate 200 g, or dairy-free alternative
- ½ cup trail mix 35 g, or a mix of ¼ cup seeds of choice + ¼ cup dried fruit of choice
- In a large bowl, combine rice krispies, oats, almonds, and salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine almond butter and honey, then microwave for 30 seconds, or until hot and pourable. Mix vanilla into almond butter mixture.
- Gently combine hot almond butter mix with the dry oat mix.
- Line a 9x13 inch dish with parchment paper and spoon your granola mixture in. Press firmly so that the granola is really compact (I like to use the bottom of a glass for pressing).
- Pop granola in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up, then cut it into 9 to 12 bars.
- Melt chocolate (either using a double boiler or in the microwave) and transfer to a shallow dish. Gently dip one side of each bar into the chocolate, using a spoon to evenly coat it if needed.
- While the chocolate-coated side is still warm and melted, sprinkle on the trail mix.
- Put the bars back in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up completely, then enjoy!
NotesStore bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This recipe first appeared over at Eazy Peazy Mealz where I’m a contributor.