This Hidden Spinach Healthy Guacamole tastes like the homemade guacamole you know and love, but with the addition of vitamin-packed, vibrantly green spinach! Serve it as a chip dip, slather it onto tacos, or use it as a healthy toast topper.
I have this bad habit of not eating as many veggies as I know I should. Which is why, as some of you may know, I like to sneak them into my food when I’m not looking. Smoothies are the usual veggie vessel, sneaking in a few cups of kale or spinach per glass. But I’ve also been known to hide vegetables in pies, pasta sauces, and brownies. You could call it a hobby.
Today we’re adding another hidden veggie recipe to the mix…Hidden Spinach Healthy Guacamole! We’re essentially just pureeing spinach into a paste then mixing it into a classic guacamole. The bright green spinach makes this guacamole a showstopper without detracting at all from the mouth-watering guacamole flavor we all know and love.
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 3 ripe medium avocados (or 2 large)
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion (about ¼ onion)
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped tomato (about 1 tomato)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- With a handheld immersion blender or a food processor, blend spinach, 2 of the avocados, and lime juice until a smooth puree is formed, scraping down the sides to get everything mixed nicely.
- Chop the remaining avocado into small chunks, then mix and mash into the puree, along with the onion, jalapeno, and garlic.Once you reach a consistency to your liking, stir in the tomatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to suit your taste and stir once more to combine.
I originally published this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I’m a contributor.