Today we’re whipping up another smoothie bowl, this time an Almond Orange Smoothie Bowl! But first, guys, I learned a thing!
So I’m taking an intro to sensory science class, a.k.a. the basics of how we perceive food and why we like the foods we like. The lecture yesterday was about taste, and we got into the nitty gritty of how taste works. Basically it’s not the tongue mapping theory we always thought (you know, sweet in the middle of our tongue, sour in the back, etc). Instead we have different receptors that can pick up different tastes. But that’s not the point. The point is, there is this magical berry!
Yes, in my master’s level class we’re learning about magical berries. There’s this berry that transforms sour tastes into sweet. So you eat the berry, eat a lemon, and you’ll feel like you’re eating a sweet orange. I tried it, it’s amazing (I then proceeded to eat as many sour things as I could find before the 1 hour lifespan of the berry magic faded away). If you want to try it out, you can get the berry in pill form here.
But you won’t need a magical berry to get this smoothie bowl down. It’s tart and sweet and the right amount of zing to get your booty moving in the morning!
- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1 banana, previously sliced and frozen
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 Tbsp honey (or more to taste, can sub agave)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- mandarine orange, sliced banana, shaved almonds
- Blend all smoothie ingredients until smooth, adding more honey if needed to suit your taste. The mixture should be thicker than a smoothie you would drink.
- Pour smoothie into a serving bowl and top with segmented mandarin oranges, sliced banana, and shaved almonds.
I first published this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I’m a contributor.